wood or acylic? the better sound!

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

wood or acylic? the better sound!

Postby joekool » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:40 am

Im looking at a NOS by zink got an offer on a birds eye maple one. Im wondering how the sound is with the wood compared to acrylic. It should be a little softer and more real toned i would think??
take your parents hunting, so you dont have to hunt your parents
joekool
hunter

Re: wood or acylic? the better sound!

Postby alex is a DUCK hunter » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:00 pm

I blow a hedge real thang, i like wood calls better but each has its place. But its hard to find a true wood call because everyone puts those acrylic sleeves in the inserts. I think doing that defeats the purpose of having a wood call to begin with. Just my two cents though.
alex is a DUCK hunter
hunter

Postby joekool » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:43 am

I know what you mean i had an old (I dont know what brand) it had wood everything and it sounded amazing then i tried to be a wiz and took the crap apart and messed it all up lol now idk where it went. I figured maybe id get a little more 2 cents from people on this topic but i guess not
take your parents hunting, so you dont have to hunt your parents
joekool
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:23 pm

alex is a DUCK hunter wrote:I blow a hedge real thang, i like wood calls better but each has its place. But its hard to find a true wood call because everyone puts those acrylic sleeves in the inserts. I think doing that defeats the purpose of having a wood call to begin with. Just my two cents though.

What do you mean by "acrylic sleeves" :huh:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Greenhead Rocker » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:17 am

If I'm not mistaken, aren't the maple zinks stabilized now?? If so, this will make them much more durable but will also sharpen the tone to a more acrylic type sound...again, I may be wrong. My favorite has always been a hedge grounds super mag but hedge can have problems with durability over time. Can't argue the sounds it produces though.
Greenhead Rocker
hunter

Postby goosehappy » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:53 pm

I make calls, so I have given some time experimenting with the sounds of different materials. In my opinion, the denser the material, the sharper or higher the sound will be, all other factors equal. I like softer hardwoods like cherry and black walnut for low honker type calls that I use over water. Denser hardwoods like osage/hedge are almost ideal all-round density for a short reed, and my very favorite is stabilized soft wood like cedar and redwood. The stabilizing process doesn't make the wood as hard as acrylic, and it does make the wood more weatherproof, and a dream to turn. I have made some acrylic calls, and they sound fine and are very durable, but IMO wood has a more natural resonance. I made one call 100% wood including the reed, and it sounds so much like big canadas but even though it is sealed well really doesn't do well in wet weather. There are so many other factors that go into making and blowing a short reed call that it is hard to decide just which call is best for you and your situation, and that is probably why I just started making my own calls.
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter

Postby goosehappy » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:21 pm

alex is a DUCK hunter wrote:I blow a hedge real thang, i like wood calls better but each has its place. But its hard to find a true wood call because everyone puts those acrylic sleeves in the inserts. I think doing that defeats the purpose of having a wood call to begin with. Just my two cents though.

the inserts in wood calls are almost mandatory to keep the toneboard in place, because wood expands and contracts according to temperature and humidity. On one of my early calls, with no insert, I blew the toneboard out of the call on a very warm day! These inserts or sleeves can be of acrylic, PVC, or metal. And in spite of the material differences, I do believe that the interference of sound transfer to the wood is minimal, and that the resonance comes from the last material the sound went through, i.e. the barrel of the call and the air coming out the end (and partly your own head). The other thing to keep in mind with wood calls is maintenance. Keep them dry as possible, and a little oil or wax can keep them going a long time. Probably why acrylic is popular is just that it needs almost no maintenance. My2cents
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:13 pm

Greenhead Rocker wrote:If I'm not mistaken, aren't the maple zinks stabilized now?? If so, this will make them much more durable but will also sharpen the tone to a more acrylic type sound...again, I may be wrong. My favorite has always been a hedge grounds super mag but hedge can have problems with durability over time. Can't argue the sounds it produces though.

You're correct sir :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum