How to tune Buck Gardner Short Reed

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

How to tune Buck Gardner Short Reed

Postby badandy970 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:10 pm

My wife just got this call for me on ebay it is a Buck Gardner Short Reed Goose Call "Canada Hammer II" it was supposed to be new but it is not, it looks like it has been taken apart about a million times. The stopper is all scratched up. Well I am looking for some suggestions on trying to tune it. I don't have a huge amount of experiece tuning goose calls. Thanks
Semper Paratus
Final Approach Pro-Staff
Foiles Migrators Pro-Staff
Duck Junkies Pro-Staff
Sitka AK. Ducks Unlimited
TEAM TRIPPLE H
TEAM BUSH QUACKED
badandy970@hotmail.com
badandy970
Forum & State Moderator

Postby steelheadslayer » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:32 pm

These are probably the easiest to tune. You see a couple of small posts at the barrel end of the sound board. Now take the notches on the reed and place them over the posts. Make sure the reed will sit down in the tone channel toward the mouth and and then set the wedge right up against the posts on the sound board. Slide the 'guts' into the barrel keeping your thumb over the end of the reed so it doesn't move around until it stops, about a 16th of an inch or so. Then blow, you're done.
:thumbsup:
There is a post somewhere on doing this, I will try and find it unless someone else here knows where it is.
"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em."-Phil Roberston
steelheadslayer
hunter

Postby badandy970 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:36 pm

Well thanks, it should be easy to tune you are right but I just noticed that the posts have been shaved off so I am thinking that he had the call and had no clue how to tune it and F@cked it all up so I talked to buck garner and he said to send it to him and they will either fix it or replace it so that is great.
Semper Paratus
Final Approach Pro-Staff
Foiles Migrators Pro-Staff
Duck Junkies Pro-Staff
Sitka AK. Ducks Unlimited
TEAM TRIPPLE H
TEAM BUSH QUACKED
badandy970@hotmail.com
badandy970
Forum & State Moderator

Postby steelheadslayer » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:41 pm

Buck has great customer service doesn't he. He did a seminar out here in Portland last winter and it was the best hour or so I've ever spent listening to someone talk ducks and calling. Yeah, if he shaved the posts that makes it tougher but not impossible. I believe Bucks calls may be the only ones with the posts. I could be wrong on that. Just make sure that the rounded part of the reed sits right at the back of the tone channel. Stick the wedge on top of it right towards the front of the insert and then holding everything together, push it into the mouthpiece. Give it a go and then send it to Buck. If nothing else, you can gain valuable learning time on tuning calls. :thumbsup:
"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em."-Phil Roberston
steelheadslayer
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum