foiles cackler or smh?

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

foiles cackler or smh?

Postby goosecalln13 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:50 am

i was wondering because i might buy a brand new call from my uncle a cackler but i dont know what is better a smh or a cackler and recomendations?
goosecalln13
hunter

Postby waterfowler9 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:13 am

go with the strait meat honker. it is a very versatile calls and has a great sound. i wouldn't buy the cackler because we don't see many cackler geese in my area often
waterfowler9
hunter

Postby huntduck1989 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:25 am

Yeah if you want a gooesy call get the SMH cause the cackler is very high pitched
huntduck1989
hunter

Postby gandergrinder » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:42 pm

If you already have a deeper sounding call. I would get the cackler. I've one and found that big geese like and its great for those high flying migrators.
gandergrinder
hunter

Postby bck1006 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:53 pm

I would get a cackler.The cackler call is not just for lesser geese.It is great for young birds and it is higher pitcher and so the sound reaches out farther.The cackler is a very veritsile call in the field.You would be surprised at how the geese repsond to the higher pitched sound.Most of your geese really don't have the low deep sound that everyone thinks a goose makes.In fact most flocks will only have 2 or 3 old geese that have the deep sounding honk.The rest of them tend to have the higher pitch honk that the cackler produces.

The SMH is a great all around call that can produce any sound that a goose makes.It is a little deeper and takes a little more air to operate.The SMH is a good choice if you are looking for a call for all situations.

What it all comes down to is "comfort",what call are you comfortable blowing in the field.So I would go somewhere that you can blow both calls and see what fits your calling style.If you need anything please feel free to PM me.Thanks and good luck
Dakota Decoy X-Treme Team
Hevi-Shot Pro Staff
bck1006
hunter

Postby minnesotaman » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:42 pm

I have both on my lanyard and if your going to get one foiles call I would get the smh. You can make a lot of pitches with it.
minnesotaman
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum