Questions...

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Questions...

Postby jim_28792 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:01 pm

Not new to calling, but new to the right way of calling (did that sound right?) I have killed quite a few geese I have called, but I'm not quite sure if I'm doing it right. I would hate to find out I have been saying the wrong thing to them for the past 5 or so years, and I have only been shooting the idiots :lol: Do you use a certain key word you use similar to blowing a duck call? Or just blow on it? I'm using a Big River flute, and it sounds alright. I'm just not sure if I'm getting the most out of the call that I can. Any help, tips, or tricks would be greatly appreciated guys. Thanks, Jim
jim_28792
hunter

Postby jim_28792 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:09 pm

37 views not a bit of an answer?
jim_28792
hunter

Postby fowlaholic » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:43 pm

if your killin birds your doin fine
gettin out is all the fun if you bag a bird thats a bonus
fowlaholic
hunter

Postby Fowl Boys » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:34 pm

Well said. My 2 cent is you can't go wrong with cluckin.
Fowl Boys
hunter

Postby killem » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:26 am

As long as the birds are coming and your killin em keep it up. BUT KEEP PRACTICING thats the main thing to get better. Also you gotta remember what sounds appealing to human might not sound so appealing to a goose but hey its working and there liking it so keep it up.

START IN ON EM BOYS!!!
killem
hunter

Postby jim_28792 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:03 pm

Yeah, I think I should invest in a dvd, we went out tonight and they didn't want a thing to do with us. Another thing to is... I got the guys I have been going with to start calling more, and we all use different calls that vary widely in sound. Will this have a negative effect on us?
jim_28792
hunter

Postby jim_28792 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:08 pm

It's just wierd how a week and a half ago I owned these birds I was calling, they wanted nothing more than to land in our decoys. But these past couple times we have been out, they don't want anything to do with us. Must be time to change something up......
jim_28792
hunter

Postby killem » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:44 pm

The birds are probably resident birds. therfore a when u was geting them they where dumb not knowing what a decoy spready is. now these birds are educated. They know what decoys look like and i suppose you took all your stuff out on your first hunt right. well if so what you need to do is downsize your spread to just a few decoys maybe around a dozen or a dozen and a half and try that method for a bit. and if that doesn't work then try everything else you think of.
killem
hunter

Postby Ross R » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:35 am

biggest part of it is reading birds brother. in my oppinion there are very few things you can say "wrong" to a goose. timing is everything and knowing what the birds want. dont over call! it might be nice to hear yourself on the call but sometimes all you need is a greeting honk and a few moans or clucks. as for the birds you once "owned" and now wont give you a look. they are educated now, hunt them from a different field with a different set up. they know you now they have your number. To adress all of the other calls in your hunting group, no single person that i have ever hunted with has the same call, but all geese sound slightly different. example i blow a money maker, my buddy who i hunt with the most blows a little man, and the other guy uses a big river flute. just practice, go to the park and listen to geese watch them interact. that is my .02 good luck to you post if i didnt adress anything!
Ross R
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jim_28792 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:42 pm

Sounds like it's time to spend some money on decoys......We don't have vary many between the three of us. These guys I hunt with just started last year on the waterfowl, and I just moved about 12 hours away from my old man who always had all the decoys and I never had to worry about it. Well, now it's time to start worrying :huh:
jim_28792
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum