Will snows respond to a canada style call?

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Will snows respond to a canada style call?

Postby justinmi » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:31 pm

Been hunting ducks for awhile now, and Im fixing to try my hand at some goose hunting. I will be hunting the Texas refuge system on the upper coast and the main geese there are snows. We always see them when duck hunting, so next year I'm adding some snow floaters to the spread and Im gonna try to coax some down. I know nothing about goose calls, but I have been practicing with a Buck Gardner call (it was the DU 75th ann. duck/goose call combo they offered for a donation a few years back). I would like to get another call, but after doing some research I see they make specific short reed calls for canada, specks, and snows. Will all geese respond to a canada call? Should I get a specific call just for snows since thats mostly what I will see, or will any goose call work on turning birds no matter the species? Like I said Im learning as I go, so any input is greatly appreciated.
Lifetime Band Count 2008-Present: 1
justinmi
hunter

Re: Will snows respond to a canada style call?

Postby callinfowl » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:07 am

Not likely tuned as a canada call , but if you know how to tune the call you can get a pretty good snow goose sound out of it by moving the guts and reed back into the insert. So basicly you are shortening the tone board/guts and reed which will get you really close to a snow call, you should get some good barks and murmurs out of it.
It's really touchy so take your time you can do it.
Just make sure you mark your reed , wedge tone board so you can get it back to a honk call easily.
DanK :thumbsup:
Lifes to short to sweat the small crap !
Lighten up and have some fun ,before ya die !

Laugh at yourself and with others!!!!!
callinfowl
Forum Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:31 am

Snows may be what you'll see the most of, but specks are what you'll have the most chance of actually calling, aside from little Canadas that seem to fall for most any call, so my first order of business would be getting a speck call and learning to use it.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby wjarrell » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:34 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Snows may be what you'll see the most of, but specks are what you'll have the most chance of actually calling, aside from little Canadas that seem to fall for most any call, so my first order of business would be getting a speck call and learning to use it.

^^^ Spot on :thumbsup:
wjarrell
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:04 pm

I have called in several Snows with a honker call. However, it is rare as the places I hunt, consist of big flocks. A single, lost Snow that wants friends will come down sometimes :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Bigredman5223 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:41 pm

I have called in Canada's with a speck call before but now what the op is asking is completly different.

Snows are snows. They like a lot of noise and having just a few floaters won't really help. They love a lot if company and it takes a lot of decoys to convince them they are safe. A single may come in close but I wouldn't count on it. I know about where you are. I use I hunt out near China as well as the anauhuac refuge. Snows are a tough bird to decoy without a lot of decoys.

Tuning a honker call to a snow is almost impossible. It can't get high enough for them. They are too deep. You can try but I would recommend just getting a real good snow call. That's your best bet. I would recommend a poly Riceland call. I use them and love them. I keep 2 on my lanyard tuned a little differently. Along with my speck call from them too. They are awesome calls.
2013-14 SEASON HURRY UP AND GET HERE!!!

GIG' EM AGGIES
Bigredman5223
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum