tim grounds goose calls VS molt gear goose calls

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

tim grounds goose calls VS molt gear goose calls

Postby OliverLee » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:08 pm

I'm gonna get a new goose call sometime soon and i am kinda in a mix up between molt gear calls and tim grounds calls I'm thinking maybe the grounds calls but i don't know. any opinions would be greatly appreciated
OliverLee
hunter

Re: tim grounds goose calls VS molt gear goose calls

Postby mayhem96 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:13 pm

The G Overhauler from Tim and Hunter is a great call :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:02 pm

Grounds all day. Don't take my word for it though. Get your hands on each of possible, or listen to some sound files on YouTube. Quick warning though, once you hear Hunter Grounds run a call, you may just decide that it's just not possible for a human to sound that good on a call. :thumbsup:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby ksgoosekilr » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:09 pm

Grounds.....get you a Real Thang!
ksgoosekilr
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:56 pm

Get a Grounds and be done with it.
My suggestion would be a G Overhauler in acrylic/wood. :thumbsup:
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:11 pm

Either. Both are quality companies.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby jrode237 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:40 pm

3 weeks ago (having tried nearly every call in the Ground's lineup and both of last years version Molt Gear calls) I would have said 100% without a doubt, go Grounds. I've since picked up this years verison of the EX3D and not only has it exceeded my expectations, I wouldn't be afraid to hang it next to any of the Grounds calls I hunt with, own, or have tried. Absolutely sick on the low end finesse stuff and can still open up and get nice and loud with plenty of pop on the notes that need it. The guts/reed and material used (still not true delrin-but IMO much better looking high gloss poly type material) are much nicer than last years EX3D package.....if you can get over the graphics. I plan on using the first one I picked up tuned medium/low for over the water where I hunt; again, very impressed with the range of notes capable of being made on the call (low pressure notes like a flying spit come quite easily). I've got a second one coming in the mail that I will tune just a bit higher. The EX3D's have impressed me to the point that I WILL OWN an X-series before this coming hunting season. FWIW, Grounds also makes a call that can fit every single situation. Great calls and great service from both makers. You really can't go wrong with either.
jrode237
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:08 pm

jrode237 wrote:3 weeks ago (having tried nearly every call in the Ground's lineup and both of last years version Molt Gear calls) I would have said 100% without a doubt, go Grounds. I've since picked up this years verison of the EX3D and not only has it exceeded my expectations, I wouldn't be afraid to hang it next to any of the Grounds calls I hunt with, own, or have tried. Absolutely sick on the low end finesse stuff and can still open up and get nice and loud with plenty of pop on the notes that need it. The guts/reed and material used (still not true delrin-but IMO much better looking high gloss poly type material) are much nicer than last years EX3D package.....if you can get over the graphics. I plan on using the first one I picked up tuned medium/low for over the water where I hunt; again, very impressed with the range of notes capable of being made on the call (low pressure notes like a flying spit come quite easily). I've got a second one coming in the mail that I will tune just a bit higher. The EX3D's have impressed me to the point that I WILL OWN an X-series before this coming hunting season. FWIW, Grounds also makes a call that can fit every single situation. Great calls and great service from both makers. You really can't go wrong with either.

Not trying to steal the thread...Jake, how do you like the new (this year's ) guts compared to the older (last year's) set? I felt like the old set didn't have much range and couldn't be tuned very well. Are they still "started" guts?
mayhem96
hunter

Postby jrode237 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:22 pm

I like the guts in the EX3D. And to be honest, I didn't think the original EX3D guts were terrible (not my favorite by a long shot) but they were considerably more user friendly than the normal EX3 guts and the wedge which is the reason I think a lot of guys had trouble with the first EX3's.....I know I was one of them. This years 3D guts are started but for some reason I seem to recall reading they didn't change them from last years model? More along the lines of internal changes being made that made the biggest difference. I hope Mike reads this and responds because I am not positive and he would be the one to know.
jrode237
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:23 pm

Thanks for the response.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby DMBgoosehunter13 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:24 am

The new EX3 Xseries is a tremendous improvment overall. New reeds, wedge, bore etc. Probably the best thing out of that shop minus the graphics.
DMBgoosehunter13
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:12 pm

DMBgoosehunter13 wrote:The new EX3 Xseries is a tremendous improvment overall. New reeds, wedge, bore etc. Probably the best thing out of that shop minus the graphics.

Don't lie...we all know you like the graphics :lol3: :lol3:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby goosewacker1 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:28 pm

that is one of the many advantages to the grounds goose calls
TC guts and traditional appearances, not to mention the old man's customer service :smile:
goosewacker1
hunter

Postby jhanson1114 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:22 am

MG EX3D, UGLY but one of the nicest calls I have ever ran. Beats the original EX3 and X series. Plus it is half of the price!
jhanson1114
hunter

Postby nitram » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:09 am

I'd also have to go with a G-Overhauler. It's my favorite call from Grounds in a long time, maybe ever.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby IH8ATTN » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:04 am

I like my G Overhauler. Being fairly new to calling it was a great jump from the Zink PC-1 poly I had before.
IH8ATTN
hunter

Postby archery1973 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:38 pm

I have TG triple thang and TG triple crown. I also have two EX3 X series.

With me, I have way more range and faster with molt gear. I'm 10x better on X series over my TG calls.
archery1973
hunter

Postby Robbie Brink » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:39 am

EX3 all day
Molt Gear Society Staff

Hit the stage
Robbie Brink
hunter

Postby Echospartan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:58 am

Tim Grounds Real Thang, good call, blows easy, down right goosey.
Pull 'em outta the sky!
Echospartan
hunter

Postby Full Force Five » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:50 am

Hard to beat a real thang. Awesome call.
I knew this would happen.
Full Force Five
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:46 pm

Any tips here on getting low goosey sounds on the Real Thang?

Sent from my Tim Grounds Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Postby DMBgoosehunter13 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:12 am

xtrema13 wrote:Any tips here on getting low goosey sounds on the Real Thang?

Shave the reed. Works wonders. I always left my Grounds calls alone because of how they were tuned and the bent tip of the reed. However, after another forum member telling me he shaves his reeds and hearing his soundfiles the low end was a lot better and the top end wasn't lost. Give it a try shave a little of the reed then try it and shave a little more until you get it to where you like it. But just did this in my real thang and love it now.
DMBgoosehunter13
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:24 am

DMBgoosehunter13 wrote:
xtrema13 wrote:Any tips here on getting low goosey sounds on the Real Thang?

Shave the reed. Works wonders. I always left my Grounds calls alone because of how they were tuned and the bent tip of the reed. However, after another forum member telling me he shaves his reeds and hearing his soundfiles the low end was a lot better and the top end wasn't lost. Give it a try shave a little of the reed then try it and shave a little more until you get it to where you like it. But just did this in my real thang and love it now.

Funny,you bring that up.
I had never ran a shaved reed in a set of TC's since when they came out years ago,always used a full reed and liked the way it ran and sounded,be it an old Half Breed,SM,PSM,RT,ST,never have ran a Triple Crown or the Triple Thang yet.
But after running the first G Overhauler I got that came with a slight shaved reed it was an real eye opener to what a difference it could make on certain calls of Tim's I had put in or had came with TC's in them,one being the Super Thang.
I could never get decent low end no matter how I tuned it,but after running a shaved reed in it what a huge difference it made.I never did have any issue with low end out of a RT though.
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum