Zink maple

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Zink maple

Postby Drivetacks » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:15 pm

Hey guys, I've decided that I'm going to go with a Zink COD for my next purchase. After looking Into them I think I want to go the Birdseye maple route. My question is with the Acrylic impregnated maple that zink says has the durability and density of acrylic. If it has the density of acrylic isn't it going to produce the same sound as acrylic? I like the lows of wood calls, duck and goose, just wondering if there is a noticeable difference between acrylic and the infused birds eye maple...?
Drivetacks
hunter

Re: Zink maple

Postby Greenhead Rocker » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:55 pm

I ran a couple of CODs at the nwtf convention and the maple still had a good mellow deep tone. Def more than the acrylics I ran, but still not as deep as some other maple calls I've tried in the past. I think it would give you what you're wanting just fine. If you order from zink, have them tune it on the deeper side. I went with acrylic just because I like a sharper tone, but the maple wood is really nice so I had them put the maple barrel on a gold rush acrylic insert. Pretty sick looking call and no flames either...haha.
Greenhead Rocker
hunter

Postby Drivetacks » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:06 am

Oh man, it's either gold rush or maple for me if I order new! Any chance you can post up a pic of that? If you don't me potentially copping your style!!
Drivetacks
hunter

Postby goosewacker1 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:19 pm

hard to beat the Zink customer service and the C.O.D.
power house short flexible call with all the highs and lows and everything in between
goosewacker1
hunter

Postby Greenhead Rocker » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:06 pm

Here's my gold rush collection so far. COD is on far right with the maple barrel

Greenhead Rocker
hunter

Postby wjarrell » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:22 am

Good looking calls there :thumbsup:
wjarrell
hunter

Postby DMBgoosehunter13 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:07 am

So here is what I have noticed on the Zink Calls. Wood vs acrylic yes they sound different, but....the acrylic calls sounds completely different then the wood version. I have taken the wood COD apart and the acrylic COD and the bores were noticeably different. Its like the wood calls are much thicker and don't have the same size bore. Same goes for the wood NBNs. Not sure if this is fear of the wood splittting or something, but in reality the wood calls are a whole new call compared to the acrylic version.
DMBgoosehunter13
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:22 pm

DMBgoosehunter13 wrote:So here is what I have noticed on the Zink Calls. Wood vs acrylic yes they sound different, but....the acrylic calls sounds completely different then the wood version. I have taken the wood COD apart and the acrylic COD and the bores were noticeably different. Its like the wood calls are much thicker and don't have the same size bore. Same goes for the wood NBNs. Not sure if this is fear of the wood splittting or something, but in reality the wood calls are a whole new call compared to the acrylic version.

David, I'm taking a guess here but here goes: It could be due to wood strength as well as making the wood calls easier to blow with a tighter bore (so they take less air). I know a call maker that does that.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Drivetacks » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:19 pm

Now they are an Acrylic infused maple, so they probably don't use an acrylic sleeve in the bore, but is there a chance that it is a sleeved bore and that is why it's smaller? I guess the ID of the sleeve would desirably be the same ID as a straight acrylic bore though???? I guess I've got my answer though, they do have a different sound and people do like them for the reason that I think I want maple, maybe I need both!!!???
Drivetacks
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum