Calling and Saliva

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Calling and Saliva

Postby xtrema13 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:33 pm

So as some of you know I am extremely excited because I have finally started to get goose calling on a short reed call. But there is just one problem, my saliva. I know I'm going to get a few jokes here. But I'll practice calling, then I'll back have to literally dump the saliva out of my call. It starts to change the sound when enough saliva get in it. I'm currently blowing a Tim Grounds Super Mag. I don't know what I need to do to help this. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Tim Grounds Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Re: Calling and Saliva

Postby OregonSpeck85 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:54 am

I spit a s**t ton in my calls and the only problem is my duck call will stick. When I'm really working my goose call there's a steady stream of spit dripping out of the insert out on to my hand. Never had an issue with a goose call but you could try blowing clearer air and try and control the amount that goes into the call. It's not much but hope it helps
OregonSpeck85
hunter

Postby 11-87 Va » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:45 am

If you don't mind spending another $20 or so, you could go to the Molt Gear site and get the Bad Grammer DVD. It helped me a ton and using Scott's method, I have never had spit came out of a goose call. I pick up something new every time I watch it.
I am second

Minus One
11-87 Va
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:53 am

The above is probably good advice, as my guess is that if you're loading the call with spit, you're working too hard at it.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:13 am

xtrema13 wrote:So as some of you know I am extremely excited because I have finally started to get goose calling on a short reed call. But there is just one problem, my saliva. I know I'm going to get a few jokes here. But I'll practice calling, then I'll back have to literally dump the saliva out of my call. It starts to change the sound when enough saliva get in it. I'm currently blowing a Tim Grounds Super Mag. I don't know what I need to do to help this. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Tim Grounds Super Mag

Buy two or three calls, when one gets full set it down and pick up a fresh one
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:22 am

Rick Hall wrote:The above is probably good advice, as my guess is that if you're loading the call with spit, you're working too hard at it.

Not true Rick. I have spit rolling out the end of my call pretty much every time I pick it up.

I never have it change the sound though.
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:45 am

Then I'll rephrase it: when I have loaded a goose call with spit, I was trying too hard.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby DKMF » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:14 pm

Drink plenty of water. Sound weird but it helps with spit control. And make sure you are not cheating and keep the tip of your younger tight against your bottom row of teeth.
DKMF
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:38 am

DKMF wrote:Drink plenty of water. Sound weird but it helps with spit control. And make sure you are not cheating and keep the tip of your younger tight against your bottom row of teeth.

For duck calling sound advice. For goose calling not so much
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby DKMF » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:42 pm

^^^makes sence^^^ disregard my previouse post lol.
DKMF
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum