Duck Hunting Forum banner

Lubricating an insert?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Rick Hall 
#1 ·
I got lucky and found a cocobolo RNT dirty bird at the Bass Pro Shop here in Calgary 3 days ago. On sale for $50.00!! Anyway.. I could barely get the insert out. And when I did, after much effort, I quickly came to the conclusion I didn't want to torque it like that again. Because I'm worried about damaging the insert or cracking the barrel. So I put a bit of lip balm on the insert to lube it up a little. It seems to work ok, but will the beeswax and lanolin be ok on the wood? Or will the cocobolo absorb it and potentially damage it?

#2 ·
Most of those RNT Dirty Birds the inside of the barrel was finished,so any lube should not be absorbed by the wood.Lip balm will suffice,but I've had the best luck with plumbers valve grease,the kind used on faucet valve bodies.Any hardware store should have it.
Good score for $50,my favorite goose call from RNT.
Shame RNT quit making that call,it's most likely their best goose call ever made.

#5 ·
I had a call maker (Kelly Beltz) reccomend chapstick for goose call "lube" seems to work fine. It does "setup" with age and tends to hold the call together in colder weather which I concider a plus, but you can still get it apart when it's warm and inside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.