Duck Hunting Forum banner

Best affordable goose call

5K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  goldfish 
#1 ·
I have a Quackhead goozilla call that I like but I have a hard time getting anything but a single honk out of.
I've heard that flute-style calls are easy (or perhaps easier) to master, would you recommend a call that's around $50 and might
produce better results given my limited skill ?
(and I do realize that I need to practice a lot more and try to improve, knowing that just buying a different call
will not solve the entire problem)

#2 ·
You can get a Grounds Factory second polycarb for $35.00, Field Proven polycarb$29-32.00, and lynch mob polycarb 55.00 and a zink Power Clucker for around $30.00 are all easy blowing calls for your price range.

#3 ·
Are you using any instructional material in trying to become better at getting more than just a single honk?

#6 ·
Thank you all for your thoughts and advice !
I have looked at the Eastern Shoreman call on line but when I was at Cabela's in East Hartford last weekend they didn't have it in stock.
I'll spend some tome to look at the others as well.
I have the bad Grammar CD but haven't spent enough time to practice and try to master the techniques. I'll keep trying though.

Thanks again !!

#10 ·
I'm still kinda new to this myself, but I can tell you after having bought two cheaper calls I just went and bought a Gander Valley Custom Call and it sounds a world different. If you can't I'd buck up and wait to get something nice. Mark at Gander Valley Custom Calls has 4 different goose calls, all $110 each. Give him a call and talk to him and he will work with you to get the right call done for you. Check him out http://www.gandervalleycustomcalls.com/goose.htm

#12 ·
That Quackhead call should be relatively easy to get most anything you'd need out of, so I'm with those suggesting you spend your limited resources on good instruction and become proficient on it before spending more on a call.

#14 ·
I've used a flute for bout 20 years and recommend Sean Mann's Eastern Shoreman Express which retails for 59.99...However, for I believe 34.99 the Mick Lacy Black Magic flute is a darn good one as well...I would certainly check out the Big River flute also... check em all out and see which one you can cluck, moan, double-cluck, honk etc...

#15 ·
I would take a look at Field Proven Poly Raptor. First, pretty easy cal to get goosed sound out of but I am new to goose calling so what do I know? So studied Field Hubnall's YouTube calling videos, listened to Molt CDs in car, and then called Field Proven - spent 20 minutes with Field instructing on different sounds. For a $29 call the best money I ever spent on any call. A hour drive home practicing and starting to think I can make a call work. Need to work on combinations and speed, but with the combination of a good call, some quality instruction and practice... But can't say enough about their customer service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.