Duck Hunting Forum banner

GK Canuck question

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  rjh 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
New to the forum. I recently bought a Canuck but am having trouble getting the low notes. Everything I try (using Bad Grammer technique), still makes it sound like a party horn. Does it just need to be broken in? Maybe re-tuned? Any technique advice? I saw that they offer "broken in" guts. Would that help my problem? I haven't tried messing with the current guts myself. I don't feel comfortable doing that as I don't know what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

#5 ·
biscuitsandgravy said:
Colins04 said:
I will get take a picture of the guts when I get home from work.

I've never ran a short reed before. I've been studying the Bad Grammer DVD as well as some youtube videos but cant replicate the sound.
Don't try to make any other sounds until you have the cluck down. Don't try to make all those other notes until you can do the cluck.
Hahaha thats what I've been attempting to do!

#6 ·
The Canuck has excellent range bottom to top,I highly doubt it is the tuning of the call with what you have said about it being your first short reed,leave the call just as it is.
Stick with the instruction from Threinen especially on the mechanics of mouth cavity size and hand placement and air presentation.
You will eventually get it,it just takes a lot of practice!

#7 ·
ColoradoGooser said:
The Canuck has excellent range bottom to top,I highly doubt it is the tuning of the call with what you have said about it being your first short reed,leave the call just as it is.
Stick with the instruction from Threinen especially on the mechanics of mouth cavity size and hand placement and air presentation.
Thank you! I just wanted to make sure it was me and not the call. Hopefully over time I can break it in and get better at it!

#8 ·
As dumb as it is, I followed his instructions on using the tip of your tongue and I could only get the high stuff. Finally I figured I would see what this "wrong" way was of using the back of your tongue, and I squeaked out a honk. Worked with that for a while and then went back to the tip of my tongue and it was there as well.

It took me probably 3 months to get a honk out of a short reed, if that makes you feel any better.

#9 ·
Colins04 said:
ColoradoGooser said:
Thank you! I just wanted to make sure it was me and not the call. Hopefully over time I can break it in and get better at it!
Just keep at it,eventually it will click and you will be on your way!
It's all about proper technique.
Good luck! :thumbsup:

#10 ·
Like everyone has said, technique and practice. I was having a similar issue when I went from a flute to a short reed a couple years ago and I made the mistake of trying to retune it thinking that was the issue. Problem got worse after I messed with the guts and it was either way too high or way too low no matter how many times I took it apart and put it together. Took me a long time to get it tuned just right, but now I can tune a call in a minute or two so that is one plus of that whole ordeal. Short reeds are very sensitive to air presentation, hand positioning, and the shape of your mouth cavity. My best advice would be to watch some instructional videos from several different people as everyone does it a little differently. Once you get the technique that works best for you down and can get a good honk or cluck you just have to practice. Kind of akin to practicing a musical instrument, no one is good right away, and the best are the ones that devoted the most time and effort to practice. I know I've made a lot of neighbors mad from blowing my calls in my apartment for hours at a time. I have hundreds of hours on a short reed and in my opinion I am just starting to become reasonable at it. Nothing like those competition callers, but I can sound like a half dozen pissed off geese. Best of luck, now get to practicing! :beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.