Duck Hunting Forum banner

Gander Valley XXX

5K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Lecoot 
#1 ·
What do you guys think of this call? Does it take a lot of air pressure to run? Is it a lower sound call?

#4 ·
It's been my favorite of the too many Canada calls I've owned. But I like it even more with Saunders' red guts and a full reed that's louder and has more crack that the stock KOA guts and shaved reed. Something to think about, but I doubt you'll be disappointed either way.

#5 ·
The XXX is my favorite as well,used a wood one on many hunts last season.Mark is good people as well,excellent customer service.
Mark can set the call just how you want it,light blowing or stiffer if that is what your looking for.

#7 ·
The XXX is African Blackwood,Mark did a small run last year,got a matching Homewrecker as well.
I just picked up a XXX in hedge,a little more mellow than the AFB.

#8 ·
I'm still pretty new myself and don't have the XXX but I did get Mark's PCS though unfortunately not till the end of the season, but I used the PCS and got more interest then anything else I've done in the last two years. Just gotta figure out the whole setup and find a good way to stay ahead of the tide up here in Alaska. But that XXX is supposed to be awesome and my PCS is fun and easy to use!

#9 ·
Tyrel Palmer said:
I'm still pretty new myself and don't have the XXX but I did get Mark's PCS though unfortunately not till the end of the season, but I used the PCS and got more interest then anything else I've done in the last two years. Just gotta figure out the whole setup and find a good way to stay ahead of the tide up here in Alaska. But that XXX is supposed to be awesome and my PCS is fun and easy to use!
Dont overlook the "Hybrid"
PCS barrel and a Powerhouse insert,wicked call,I just picked up a used one in all hedge and it has best range out of the whole line up of goose calls!

#11 ·
Tyrel Palmer said:
I'm trying to pick up a used Hybrid right now from a guy. He hasn't gotten back to me at the moment, Black and Ivory insert.
You wont regret it.I was a little leery about that combo,but when I finally got one in my hands,it is amazing!

#12 ·
Getting ready for next season I'll be running a black GVCC PCS, a Black with Ivory Insert Hybrid, a Smoke Homewrecker and my Duck Commander Mallard Drake Whistle and currently have a DC Commander N Chief.
Thinking about getting rid of it for a wooden DC Original though, or something else like that.

#13 ·
wjarrell, my PCS blows pretty easy, with my little experience I can get it going pretty good. And the XXX is supposed to be just as good or better then The PCS or Hybrid.

I'd give Mark a call there at GVCC, he was awesome and we talked on the phone for about an hour when I was picking out my PCS and Homewrecker. We talked about a lot of stuff and he tuned mine specifically for our area here in SE Alaska for Aleutians and Vancouvers

#18 ·
I've been reading that this is a super easy call to blow, but I received mine last week and it takes a full breathe to get just a few clucks. Anyone have this issue or is it me? Just seems like it takes an extreme amount of air to blow and break. Have a zink pc1 and I can simply breathe in it for clucks. Any help would be appreciated. I plan to call mark if I can't get it worked out.

#19 ·
drock91 said:
I've been reading that this is a super easy call to blow, but I received mine last week and it takes a full breathe to get just a few clucks. Anyone have this issue or is it me? Just seems like it takes an extreme amount of air to blow and break. Have a zink pc1 and I can simply breathe in it for clucks. Any help would be appreciated. I plan to call mark if I can't get it worked out.
Did you buy the call new or used ?
Reason I ask is Mark is very good about asking how one would like the call tuned.
Is the reed shaved or is it a full reed,that will make a huge difference in the amount of air to operate the call.
Calling Mark is most likely you're best option,he will get you squared away.

#21 ·
"Everything is relative." I'm one who finds the XXX an easy runner, but my comparisons are to a mess of calls that don't include Zink's PC-1 (hate flared inserts). Then, too, what's easy for you might be too easy for me.

I agree with giving Mark a call, but this might also be a good time to learn to tune your own before giving him another shot at getting it right for you. Worst that can happen is sending it in to be retuned anyway.

#22 ·
I just got a XXX and it is the best call I have ever blown. I find it easy to run and very responsive, however up until now I have primarily used Tim Grounds calls which most say are hard to blow. I will definitely move all other calls to back up now unless the geese don't feel the same way about my XXX as I do. I tried a Zink COD last year and found it to be too easy for me to blow, when I tried to get aggressive with notes it didn't sound good, and even locked up at times. It seems to me that everyone has different air delivery and certain calls work better than others for each person.

#23 ·
It's probably tuned too stiff for you. It has a small barrel with Glodo - not much air volume to fill and a design that promotes good use of the air, so a stiff reed is probably the culprit. As the guys said, it's relative to what you're used to. If you've primarily run calls like older Zinks, Shore Things, or Big Seans, any of the GVCC calls will run stouter. If you're more acquainted with Grounds, Saunders, and GKs, the GVCC's will seem easy to run. The other thing to consider is that, while Mark has always been really good at this, it's tough to really nail down a tuning pressure for someone based on their description of how they like a call tuned. It's always best to ask for an extra reed or two and get someone to tune it for you in person...better yet, learn to tune it yourself.

I've tuned up a couple XXX's - their speed is not surprising given the size of the call, but the range is extremely impressive.

#24 ·
I just picked up a used XXX and I really like this little call! It's all acrylic and has a nice high pitch to it with great volume! I also have an all hedge Hybrid that I like as well! A little longer and a little deeper in tone! I don't find them hard to run at all. You get good use of the air that you put into the call, meaning, the air just doesn't run out the end of the call! Now I need to try the Power House and the PCS!lol. I really like talking to Mark as well, he's always taken time to answer any questions that I've had for him!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.