Duck Hunting Forum banner

Looking for a new goose call

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  PeterGood 
#1 ·
I am in the market for a new call for hunting purposes. I'm not interested in comp calling. I would say I'm an intermediate caller and use a TG Poly Super Mag. I was almost set on the TG G-Overhauler, but then I saw the Apostle from C&S Custom Calls. This call was very appealing and I liked the sound it made in his videos. I guess my question is if the TG is worth an extra $70 over the C&S?? Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'm also from Central Illinois.

#4 ·
I've heard nothing but high praise for CCC products, and Gary is effing awesome. He's an active sponsor here, and answers any questions asked. The Cutdown is a little bugger, but is fast and powerful. I would highly recommend at least speaking with him. His user name is Theircommited10. PM him and ask him any questions you can think of...

http://www.committedcustomcalls.com/online_store.html

#5 ·
Check out Gander Valley Custom Calls too. Mark is awesome, when I placed my order the first time I called him we ended up on the phone for over 45 minutes talking about his calls and what/where I hunt. He ended up recommending the PCS, but my two friends run PCS and Powerhouses and they sound great, that's why I got one. They just sound and feel awesome. All his calls run the same at only $110+shipping. Check out his site: http://www.gandervalleycustomcalls.com/ and go to his goose calls. Gander Valley has a huge following because they are great calls and Marks customer service is second to none.

#6 ·
Schulkp40 said:
I looked at the CCC, but I couldn't find much about them. Are they pretty good calls?
I run a cut down. It can go fast and loud. Really like the call. Use to have a smh on my lanyard, the a G3. Both were tuned similar, nice calls. Once I got my hands on the CCC cutdown, I knew I'd found my call. I'm not good at tuning a call. Maybe just by chance the CCC is tuned right for me, the others may have been able to be tuned for what I want. But oh well. Just like shotguns, you can't have too many calls.

#8 ·
Give a look at Allan Stanley Game Calls. Check out his call called the Canadensis. Listen to the sound file on his site. I have one in cocobola and it's a great call. He kind of runs under the radar but the man can flat-out build and run a goose call. I wish that I would have got this call sooner. Very nice guy to deal with as well.

#9 ·
You should also check out Basin Calls, hes from Oregon, my home area, and I just heard about him from another guy. Supposed to be some decent calls. I am really happy with my Gander Valley stuff, but might have to try out the home town guy!

#10 ·
I received a Field Proven Raptor for xmas. I am old school....wood and conventional calls. this is a short reed in poly carbonate. color is blue if that matters. I do not do short reeds or Hollywood colors, so I will not be keeping this call. you can look them up on the net. and if you have any interest you can pm me. I would be putting it on ebay in the next month or two for under $30. I see good comments on this forum regarding this call...so if someone who uses one could comment for the original poster....that would have more credibility than my comments....I have only had it for a couple of really cold weeks.

#12 ·
Elaborating on vacuum's post:

I bought a FP Poly Raptor a few weeks before Christmas. I have been terrible with a short reed for years, and (being a waterfowler and loving calls and such) wanted another one to be terrible on. I got the call in and found the Field Proven Youtube page, which has a 20 video, step by step process on learning how to blow a short reed goose call. I have watched many videos over many years on how to do it, but the way Field breaks it down is incredibly detailed with tongue movements and "reference words" that makes everything make sense.

So I tried what I learned on the Raptor. Its been a month, and I would have no problems being confident calling beside way more experienced callers. The Raptor is simple to blow (as it is made for). I can compare that to several different cheap end calls that I have laying around (Zink Poly, Foiles Meatgrinder, etc).

Thumbs up on the Raptor if you are looking for a cheap call with not so cheap sound. Granted, once I feel I have hit a plateau with what I can do with the Raptor, I will be looking to "level up" to something "more better" (more expensive),too.

Hope this helps you or someone out there!

#13 ·
Sort of hijacking a thread but replying to the previous poster. The Field Proven YouTube videos are also available in DVD from the. But since a lot of my practicing is while driving here is another idea - bookmark the FP YouTube topics you want to work on in your smartphone - that way you can repeat as needed and move on. Then just because sometimes listening to a different teacher helps switch off with Molt's Fowl Language CD. The combination has been helpful at least to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.