Duck Hunting Forum banner

General question's from a new caller

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Posted Land Nocturnal bandit 
#1 ·
Hopefully this isn't too long winded...

So, I just got started goose hunting this last season and plan to do much more in the future. I'm looking at getting my first call soon so I have plenty of time to work on it, as to not embarrass myself completely next year. I want to get a nice call that I can grow into. I've read reviews until I was blue in the face and have heard plenty of opinions.

So, what I think I'm wanting is a call that doesn't take/need a ton of air to run efficiently. Also, I realize most guys will have multiple calls for different pitches/volume. I'm looking for just 1 hunting call for now before I go crazy and try a bunch of different calls.

So, higher or lower pitch?
Also, the cost of a call isn't as important as a quality call that I'll hopefully enjoy.

Any model suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for any advice.

#2 ·
You're going to get a ton of opinions,so I'll start it off :biggrin:

I've found that geese respond better to a higher pitched call day in and day out.There are some very good quality calls out there today.How easy a call runs is all in the tuning and how the reed is shaved,so any call out there could be worked over to operate easy.
Now for my suggestion on a call maker to purchase from.
Gander Valley Custom Calls makes some flat out awesome sounding and running calls,my suggestion would be either the XXX or a Hybrid.
Give Mark a call and talk with him about what you're looking for,and he will get you squared away on a great first goose call.

#4 ·
Well, I started out in '90 with a flute and still rollin with a flute... I use a Mick Lacy Black Magic and Sean Mann Eastern Shoreman Express...Big River is an easy one to run as well... the Sean Mann is just fantastic and easy to run... Black Magic is an awesome call also... really I would suggest tryin as many as you have the time to try... also do not get frustrated as it takes time in the field callin to geese and seein what they respond to consistently... by the way I am referring to Canada Goose calls... learn honk, cluck, moan and then double-cluck...ive finished a helluva lotta geese over the years with those four basic sounds, though double-clucking took more time for me to get down real pretty-like... good luck and holler back and if I can help I will and if not I will tell you I can't...

#5 ·
My purpose and preference points toward high and fast, and of the half dozen such shortreeds I've owned, the aforementioned GVCC XXX has been my favorite and I'd guess about as good of a call as any for most to learn shortreed operation with. I read that longer calls are more forgiving, but the XXX has given me more easily reached speed and range than my others, all but one of which have been at least a bit longer. (Much of that may have been the combination of guts and stock shaved reed Mark uses, but I've found I like the call even better with a different gut set and full reed that's crisper without giving up speed or ease of operation.)

Of course, you'll never really know what's best for you until you dive in, gain some fundamental mastery of calling, to include tuning, and can begin experimenting for yourself.

#7 ·
I don't think a guy can go wrong with any major brand short reed on the market, but spend a little extra and get a nice one. I bought several $20-50 calls and was never happy with the sound. I ended up buying an acrylic Zink COD a few years ago and it's a pretty decent call. Doesn't take hardly any air to run, is fast and responsive, and can be tuned high or low. I also bought a Tim Grounds Super Mag in Cocobolo wood for something with a little deeper and mellower tone. Birds sometimes seem to respond better to one or the other on various days. One thing I noticed is the super mag takes more air to run, but after working that call for a couple months I picked up the Zink and it seemed effortless to make all the advanced sounds I used to struggle with. I think a guy learns better air presentation with a grounds call and it will improve your control on calls that take less air to run. I have heard a lot of people on here and other forums say that if you learn how to run a grounds call well, you will be able to run any short reed out there. I would recommend either of these calls, but I think most calls in the $140-$160 range are probably fairly similar. I have also heard good things about GK calls. Don't waste any money on a Buck Gardner goose call, they make a good duck call but the goose call I got from them was so jacked up it could not be tuned to sound like a convincing goose. I threw an extra set of Zink guts in it and it sounds good now.

#9 ·
rjh said:
if you learn how to run a grounds call well, you will be able to run any short reed out there.
I've been saying that for a long time, and couldn't agree more. I'm partial to grounds calls, specifically ones with the triple crown guts. They do tend to take more and better air presentation but its worth it. After the dust settles and the calls are bought, sold and traded, your HANDS play the most important part in making consistent and realistic goose sounds, so keep that in mind. Grounds calls probably hold the most titles and prize money of all the makers out there, but that doesn't mean they'll be right for you, although i do recommend you trying them.

#11 ·
Am also new (relatively) at calling geese and think you need to start by trying calls. First goose call I got sounded great but took so much air (why you should spend more than a few minutes trying calls...) I was running out of gas on any lengthy string of notes. Just took more air than my 160 lb. body had. Next call blew easy but was limited in range. I don't live near a place I can try 100 calls so try to ask a lot of questions now. Got a Field Proven Poly Raptor for about $45 and find, for me it is easy to work and let's me handle pretty much everything on the Bad Grammer CD. if I was a more experienced caller might go another way but being new at this having trouble spending $150 on a call sight unseen. And yes, I know between the three calls I have spent close to $150. If you can try different calls do so, and for enough time to se how you might call birds to your blind. If not, personal recommendation of Poly Raptor. You can always move up to acrylic later.

#12 ·
I to am new to goose hunting, I have never used a call. So I found this thread a good read. I to want to purchase a decent call and would like to sound decent with it. I also know it will take practice. It took me a very long time to use the diaphragm call to call an old Tom turkey in but I can do it with the best of em now. They can give boc calls and slates to the newbies. LOL JMO.

I will keep checking back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.