Duck Hunting Forum banner

Molt Gear Delrin calls vs. acrylics

8K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  jjseman 
#1 ·
I wanted to try out one of Molt Gear's offerings but cannot find a shop near me that carries them. Without trying them first, I'm a little gun shy at ordering/dropping big coin on an acrylic call that I may, or may not like. I don't want to mess with trying to sell of a call that I don't like either.
Do his delrin calls sound noticeably different from his acrylics (supposedly they have the same guts in them)? The two delrin "D" calls Scott's making that I'm interested in are the Reflex D and the EX 3D. Anybody have experience with these calls?

#4 ·
I've been told that the Reflex and the Reflex D both have the same Phantom green guts. Not sure about the EX 3D. The Reflex being acrylic, has a shaper sound to it then the Reflex D. The Reflex that I have is a good running call with lots of range. I have not ran the D but hear its good as well.

#6 ·
I own a couple molt gear calls, the Ex Reflex and the Ex3 d. The Ex3d that I bought has the same guts as my Ex Reflex, and it will definitely be on the string next year. From what I've seen others say, the Ex3d is a bit more mellow than the acrylic version, but that's expected. I have an acrylic X series on the way soon so I can compare them when it gets here. I've also heard the molt gear D series calls are no longer made with delrin but kept the same name, its a new material now but I am not sure what they called it. They are not molded, they are hand poured as well. So far, I love the Ex3d, its been a great pick up. I will say that there is not much difference in operation between my relfex and the Ex3d, both blow the same but just have different tones. The relfex is a killer man, hands down the best call I have ever tried, so I'm sure the reflex D will be a killer too!

#7 ·
The Ex-Reflex acrylic provides more "pop" and "snap" due to it being acrylic. The reflex D is a more mellow call. Both are on my laynard along with an X-series. The Ex-Reflex acrylic is very versatile. You can get low as well as high pitch with it. The reed response it quick as heck and transitions are smooth as silk. I really like running this call on traffic hunts and windy days. The reflex -d has the same reed response but doesn't get quite as loud(because it is not acrylic). I run this on little wind days or next to timber.

The X-series on the other hand, due to it being a longer call, provides a deeper tone. I run this call as well. I'll run this if I'm hunting with someone who calls at a higher pitch than I do just so there is some sound variance in the spread.

If I had to pick one. I would invest as a hunter and get the Ex-Reflex acrylic.

Hope this helps. Any other questions just ask! :thumbsup:

#8 ·
I ended up getting the ex3 D version. I asked scott to tune it up for a bigger goose sound and he really delivered exactly what I wanted. I mentioned in another post that the call sounds terrible while in a vehicle or while practicing inside. But you get it outside in the open or with some echo bouncing back and it really sounds fantastic. Extremely natural sounding call that rivals any acrylic I've used or heard. I'm stoked to get it out for the long coming season. The spring geese respond very well to it while I'm practicing at the park wetland.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.