Duck Hunting Forum banner

Best Goose call

8K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  elitecallin16 
#1 ·
I use a RNT daisy cutter and timber Hawg duck hunting. I'll be making a hunt in Kansas this November. Any suggestions on a good goose call?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I may well have owned as many or more top shelf Canada calls as anyone here in Louisiana, and the one I hunt with is a hedge Gander Valley Custom Calls XXX. But if all I wanted one for was a Kansas trip, I might well settle for an inexpensive poly call. Know some, and would think most, can readily be tuned to sound just fine for hunting purposes if they're a bit off out of the blister pack. As with any calling, it's a lot more about the Indian than the arrow, but you can find plenty of free calling and tuning help on Youtube. Learn to cluck and moan pretty much like a Canada, and you should be in business. (Once won a $20 bet "clucking" our Canada limits to their deaths with a 25cent garage sale squeeze bulb bicycle horn.)

#5 ·
Cheap: Tim Grounds Poly seconds, I believe they are 40 bucks. Too much hold for my style air.
More: I love my Committed Custom goose, but it takes lungs!!!
Most: Tim Grounds Triple Thang, damn thing brings me up a notch just putting air through it. Might be my presentation, but I have found a call that I LOVE.

#8 ·
Assault said:
Was debating on a rice land or a RNT G3.
Unless it's something new I'm not aware of, Riceland doesn't offer a Canada goose call, just speck and snow. I've not owned a G3 and thought the only one I've tried much like their far less expensive poly Goosezilla. Not a "bad" call, but not one I'd want to pay the price premium for.

I'm a RNT duck call believer, but the only RNT Canada call that I've found extra nice was the quick and easy little Dirty Bird they discontinued to start their new sci-fi looking lines. If you can find one of those on the used market at a decent price, I'd recommend it.

#9 ·
Rick Hall said:
Assault said:
Was debating on a rice land or a RNT G3.
Unless it's something new I'm not aware of, Riceland doesn't offer a Canada goose call, just speck and snow. I've not owned a G3 and thought the only one I've tried much like their far less expensive poly Goosezilla. Not a "bad" call, but not one I'd want to pay the price premium for.

I'm a RNT duck call believer, but the only RNT Canada call that I've found extra nice was the quick and easy little Dirty Bird they discontinued to start their new sci-fi looking lines. If you can find one of those on the used market at a decent price, I'd recommend it.
Thanks Rick..... Meant to put Barebelly, not G3! Lol mind running faster than brain! I already made up my mind on the G3..... Am swinging between a riceland and RNT Barebelly

#10 ·
Now I see my mix-up. When you said you were going to Kansas and looking for a goose call, I assumed you wanted a Canada goose call, as I, perhaps incorrectly, equate Kansas with Canadas.

As for the speck calls you're looking at, RNT's Barbelly is one I've not tried. Before bigger gutted speck calls became available, the RNT was my pick of the litter, but the landscape has changed, and while I've tried others, I've been hunting with a big-gutted James Meyers and a newer Riceland since James handed me one of the first of their kind. (Albeit, initially paired with a faithful old RNT.) I doubt there's a better value in a speck call out there than their $65 poly.

The Barbelly is also a big-gutted call, but the opportunity to try one hasn't come my way, and the temptation to purchase one for trial has been quelled by the big-belled insert it appears to share with the Microgoose SS, which I do currently own. (Anybody want to buy one?) I don't care for the look and HATE the feel of that bugle insert, and I'd have to hear a Barbelly do a lot more than is on its soundfile before I'd consider putting up with it.

#11 ·
Rick Hall said:
Now I see my mix-up. When you said you were going to Kansas and looking for a goose call, I assumed you wanted a Canada goose call, as I, perhaps incorrectly, equate Kansas with Canadas.

As for the speck calls you're looking at, RNT's Barbelly is one I've not tried. Before bigger gutted speck calls became available, the RNT was my pick of the litter, but the landscape has changed, and while I've tried others, I've been hunting with a big-gutted James Meyers and a newer Riceland since James handed me one of the first of their kind. (Albeit, initially paired with a faithful old RNT.) I doubt there's a better value in a speck call out there than their $65 poly.

The Barbelly is also a big-gutted call, but the opportunity to try one hasn't come my way, and the temptation to purchase one for trial has been quelled by the big-belled insert it appears to share with the Microgoose SS, which I do currently own. (Anybody want to buy one?) I don't care for the look and HATE the feel of that bugle insert, and I'd have to hear a Barbelly do a lot more than is on its soundfile before I'd consider putting up with it.
Rick, how easy is the micro goose to run?

#12 ·
We're bouncing back and forth between Canada and speck calls enough that I want to be sure you understand that the Microgoose SS is a Canada call. I found it easy enough to run but nothing special special in either that regard or tone. Biggest "sin" was lacking the sharp "crack" I favor over low end stuff.

But know that mine is far from the last word on Canada calls.

#13 ·
Rick Hall said:
We're bouncing back and forth between Canada and speck calls enough that I want to be sure you understand that the Microgoose SS is a Canada call. I found it easy enough to run but nothing special special in either that regard or tone. Biggest "sin" was lacking the sharp "crack" I favor over low end stuff.

But know that mine is far from the last word on Canada calls.
Ok, just to be clear SPECK, I'm thinking of a Riceland or RNT.... Canadian, I'm almost made up on a G3, but also looking at microgoose as and warbird

#14 ·
Rick Hall said:
I may well have owned as many or more top shelf Canada calls as anyone here in Louisiana, and the one I hunt with is a hedge Gander Valley Custom Calls XXX. But if all I wanted one for was a Kansas trip, I might well settle for an inexpensive poly call. Know some, and would think most, can readily be tuned to sound just fine for hunting purposes if they're a bit off out of the blister pack. As with any calling, it's a lot more about the Indian than the arrow, but you can find plenty of free calling and tuning help on Youtube. Learn to cluck and moan pretty much like a Canada, and you should be in business. (Once won a $20 bet "clucking" our Canada limits to their deaths with a 25cent garage sale squeeze bulb bicycle horn.)
I like it! Got quite a chuckle out of the bicycle horn :)

#16 ·
IMO, the Field Proven Calls are the way to go. Field Hudnell, the founder and world champion caller, makes youtube videos on step by step goose calling. They have several goose calls that can fit you. Personally I have the Matrix which is a short call with fast response. It can can really loud but can still hit the low end with ease.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.