best speck call

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Re: best speck call

Postby HossdogD10 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:30 pm

Anatra was a new call last year in our area and it was great. I gave away everything else I had in favor of this call. It never jammed up, blows easy, had good range, sounds great and it works.
HossdogD10
Newb

Postby bama.hunter » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:39 am

So far I've ran a Zink, RNT, Sean Mann, Redbone, Chien Caille, Quackhead, Basin, Riceland, and I'm sure some others I left off.

The winner for me was Riceland, little air and tons of speck built into it.
bama.hunter
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:54 am

Killed many specks with the RNT Quackhead Speck call. For 10 bucks you CAN'T beat it. Heck, I've tried some of the higher end calls and it competes with em too! Of course an acrylic is gonna sound more crisp, and youre gonna cherish a call you spent more money on, but theres a reason that Quackhead is STILL on my lanyard.... :thumbsup:
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby Hunter22 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:49 am

Basin Speck Crusher. This is very good call for hunting in low temperature. Spring morning in Russia the temperature sometimes -10 degrees Celsius. Call worked without any problems. After a small improvement of the sound became better. Easy to blow. The geese flew a few meters.
Zink Power Speck. I changed the guts. After that he began to sound good.
RNT QuackHead Speck Tackler. Insert with thin walls, they crack. Guts poorly kept. But the sound is good.
Redbones of two my friends not worked at low temperature.
Hunter22
Newb

Postby quackaholic88 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:41 am

Those of you that run the riceland, any of you used the poly one or do you all use the acrylic?
Smok'em if you got'em!!!
quackaholic88
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:01 am

quackaholic88 wrote:Those of you that run the riceland, any of you used the poly one or do you all use the acrylic?

The Riceland I use is hedge/bois d'arc. Still pretty crisp for wood but offers a resonance that's spot on some down-in-a-barrel-sounding specks on the ground.

Haven't tried the poly Riceland, but know the guys are tickled with how they came out.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:44 pm

The best is probably Redbone but if you are like me and just can't bring yourself to plunk down $220 for one you might want to give the Riceland Poly Speck a look. Mine arrived today and this call is pure speck and pretty easy to run for even a novice speck caller like myself. $65 shipped to your door and the call is 100% speck. :thumbsup:
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby WoodDuck21 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:42 am

Dont overlook Anatra calls. They are newer and based out of California, but there speck call is right up there with redbones. Turned acrylic and brass guts. They sound phenominal and are really easy to blow with a ton of range. I used to blow the quakchead, have blown a Basin and a few others until I met the Anantra boys at one of our outdoor shows here in Cali. Super cool guys, tuned one on the spot for me and showed me how to run it. Have purchased 2 since. Not affiliated whatsoever I just feel its got a ton of speck in it and is often overlooked being a newer company. Not to mention they are half the price as the redbones. Just spreading the word... :smile:
Last edited by WoodDuck21 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WoodDuck21
hunter

Postby quackaholic88 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:28 pm

Do you know where those guys hunt because it looks a lot like the place I worked on a Wood Duck program last year called Roosevelt Ranch.
Smok'em if you got'em!!!
quackaholic88
hunter

Postby WoodDuck21 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:15 pm

Not really sure man, they are based out of concord/antioch area I think. As far as their hunting property I wanna say its near the butte sink/sutter basin area not positive though. If you add em on FB they have some pics of their properties and what not, or you could always call and ask em.

PM sent. :thumbsup:
WoodDuck21
hunter

Postby klist » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:26 pm

im a redbone guy myself.

have a long list of spec calls ive tried over the past 2 years...and found my match w/ the redbone.

and in regards to the anatra call.... have yet to find a a user that can note for note keep up with the redbone. nor one that sounds as good 100 yards away as a redbone.

not just MY opinion, but the opinion of several ppl while discussing why the redbone was worth the extra money when there the " same call"
klist
hunter

Postby WoodDuck21 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:45 pm

klist wrote:im a redbone guy myself.

I have yet to find a a user that can note for note keep up with the redbone. nor one that "

Well seems its not the call then right? Thanks for the reply the man...not saying Redbones arent great, and they may be the best, but for alot less Id gurantee the right USER would be able to keep up with an Anatra. They both can flat out sing. :wink:
WoodDuck21
hunter

Postby klist » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:14 pm

^ im sure there is someone that can. that statement is simply geared towards the people who say the anatra is the same call as the redbone. its not. the TONAL range of my redbone is both several notes higher, as well as a good two notes lower, while still maintaining a goosey low.

generally to test a speck call, especially after watching the redbone video, i run a " scale" from low to high then back down to the low.

as a musician, scales mean alot to me. it also helps with learning vocal and air control as well as hand placement for varying tones. after showing people these " scales" i ask them to run there call to the max. you can tell when you max it out low and high because you lose a " goose tone" quite often its where the call refuses to run anymore.

after playing with the redbone, i max out before the call does. and with a little tunning i was able to extend the scales a couple notes.

the anatra i played with did not have the note for note range that my redbone had, both when i used it, as well as the person whos call it was.

the second test i like to use is the 100 yrd test. when ever i get a call, it gets this test. step outside, send yoiur buddy or group of friends 100 yrds away and blow a sequence. use w/e call you normally do, as well as the one youre trying out. ask em how it sounds. sometimes at 5 yrds they sound great, but at 100 there attrocious. and sometimes at 5 yards its just eh- but at 100 its a dam dude thats birdy.

the redbone won the 100 yrd test hands down. fact is we blew something like a cadence back and forth with each other, and the guys said that the redbone outgoosed the anatra hands down.

to each there own, and may plenty of bar bellies be putting there feet down in your gear this year.

but im a tone nazi, and have blown several of the " best" calls out. and redbone stays on my larnyard while everything else gets collected or sold
klist
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:36 am

Dualing speck calls, da da ding ding ding...
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Klondike » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:50 am

"The caller will max out before the call"----That is the number one reason I blow a redbone. I can get a full chromatic scale,from super hollow to blistering high. I am therefore not limited to a tight range that only the call can handle. The geese are all over the place as far as pitch,and the more advanced a caller becomes,thus the need for an instrument that can handle the caller's progression.
Klondike
hunter

Postby WoodDuck21 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:57 am

I havent had the chance to run a side by side test...and will in fact say the redbone I tried was a little harder for me to run and only got to play with it for a couple minutes. And I wont doubt they are a superior call as I stated, ive seen guys that can blow them and was in awe. But I dont really think its a call that anyone could pick up and run with. With some practice and time im sure, but to me the Anatra is a SUPER easy blowing call with a superior sound and range than some of the "other' top calls. I am by know means a speck expert, but I was able to blow one and blow it well compared to some of the others ive tried. I liken the redbone to the "daisy cutter" of the goose call world. Takes a lil more to run, and some guys just cant get the hang of it and move on to someting else. For those that can run it...game over. Guess my point is, dont count it out as a "contender" to those in the market or havent had the chance to run it. It may not be the champion but surely deserves a nod in the "top of the line" speck calls. Seems all you here about are the Basin, Meyers, and Redbones being at the top, and for good reason. But in time im sure Anatra will eventually make that list. As you said to each their own, and perhaps in time as I get better I too will be looking to "upgrade." Good luck to you this season man, regardless of the call you blow, they sure are a blast to hunt. :beer:

I will also say that Rick you got my attention with those meyers poly calls. Ive got a couple buddies that are looking for something middle of the road, and havent really blown a speck call at all. After checking them out im intrigued. Im also curious on your take of the Anatras? Any experince or have you heard them? The owner James happens to be the guy blowing the microhen in that 2-man youtube clip your fond of. :thumbsup:
WoodDuck21
hunter

Postby klist » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:37 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Dualing speck calls, da da ding ding ding...

ha ha ha.... quality reference my friend.

and wood- i agree. the anatra will probably become a contender in the speck call field. it will probably win a few contests if they can get the right guy blowing it , and some of the top names dont show up. looking up as much info as i can, it looks like anatra placed top 3 this year in ca live spec, and has a 2009 first place as west coast live speck.

ken white generally is gonna win ANY comp he is in, i think he swapped over to the foiles tho. witch is a good call, i would actually suggest it after blowing it. seems to be very similar to the redbone.

for People that have not alot of spec call experience you always see them end up with a small bore call. huge mistake. imo the small bore calls take an EXTREME amount of tuning and practice to run right, where as the large bore call are not as easy in the begining, with a little practice becoming competent is not far fetched
klist
hunter

Postby Klondike » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:16 pm

Ken White is extremly talented,probably can adapt to most any call. I don't believe there is anyone close to his level in California although Rathjen and Jernigan are both good.

Small Bore---like a razor to run

Large bore---more forgiving to run,will still perform with various differing air presentations
Klondike
hunter

Postby klist » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:10 pm

Klondike wrote:Small Bore---like a razor to run

Large bore---more forgiving to run,will still perform with various differing air presentations

good anology.... and its the ability to change air presenation as well as hand position that gives the large bore such versatility.

manurfactures are finding this out, and with the popularity of short reed canada calls , i see large bore spec calls being the future of the spec call market
klist
hunter

Postby Klondike » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:56 pm

small bore---more built in backpressure,less hands,locks up if you don't ride the line

large bore---caller varies the backpressure through hands
call handles more air--or--will run air starved=the forgiveness,two extremes

Indian or arrow--both---the call must support what the caller can do
a world class speck caller can adapt to just about any call quickly and make it sound "good",but the same caller can take a call with more range and make it sound "great". More range=more contrast. Specks are not stuck at one pitch. Some are super hollow and raspy,some higher and cleaner. You get to a point over time, if you work at it enough,where you can scale a call in minutes and say,nope I have more left in me,but the call won't support me,OR I want to run finesse,but the call threshold is so stiff that it only responds to big air volume that negates your ability to finesse.
Klondike
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:14 am

Fiddlesticks. You guys are trying to make mountains of molehills. Might be something to it on the stage, but some of the best speck callers I know have tried the big bores and stuck with small gutted calls. I run both and wouldn't feel crippled sticking to either.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Klondike » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:15 am

Could it be that these callers have air presentations that suit a small bore---aka---the "chien caille" style. La-la-la,la-la,la-la-la-la

Mervis Saltzman was a legend,but things are changing in my opinion.
Klondike
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:21 pm

The guys I'm thinking of left Mervis' stylings behind them years ago, while in most cases still holding his friendship dear. (And it was "loo, loo, loo," not "la, la, la".)

More seriously, current contest riffs still seem to hold sway afield with a great many hunters, which makes it mighty rewarding for the contrarians who've studied the birds, instead.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby WoodDuck21 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:03 am

DuckinFool wrote:The best is probably Redbone but if you are like me and just can't bring yourself to plunk down $220 for one you might want to give the Riceland Poly Speck a look. Mine arrived today and this call is pure speck and pretty easy to run for even a novice speck caller like myself. $65 shipped to your door and the call is 100% speck. :thumbsup:

Just an FYI for anyone interested... I just got one of these yesterday for a buddy of mine and naturally gave it a test run :biggrin: this call is BAAADDD. Sweet little call for the money, sounds great and super easy to run. It was smaller than I expected but i actually like it. Fits in the palm of my hand. They have an aluminum insert of sorts in the barrell to give it a real sharp sound, it has good range, and has some scratch in it. It is a molded poly, so asthetically it wasnt as clean as turned acryilic but I was very impressed and for the price you cant go wrong. Thank you Mr.Hall and others for the recomendation. My buddy will be pleased, and I might actually pick one up to play with in the car or as a back up. :thumbsup:
WoodDuck21
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:02 pm

If you're as serious about speck calls as it seems, you really ought to try a hedge Riceland. Just sayin'...
Rick Hall
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum