Duck Hunting Forum banner

Anyone use Chien Caille for specks?

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  zchauvin 
#1 ·
Wondering if any of you guys use this call for specks, I've got one cannot get a murmur/scratch out of it to save myself. No matter how little air I use its either no sound or a cluck. I've used the RNT Specklebelly as well but I believe it's another similar gut call. Thinking about getting the barbelly and hoping the different design will give the ability to murmur / scratch. Any thoughts or experience with getting the murmur out of the Chien Caille?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Z, I've had a chien caille for a bunch of years. And you are right. It is tough to get a murmur out of it. I picked up an RNT Barbelly when they came out (big guts). It is waaaay easier than the CC. It is also easy to murmur. Love that call, I'm going to see how the specks like it. But I'll tell you, the CC will be in the blind bag.

#3 ·
Easiest way to get a murmur out of a Chien Caillie is to replace the reed with a thinner mylar one cut from a duck call. The top reed from a DR-85's replacement reed kit is a popular choice. (Might note that CCs now come with mylar reeds, but they're probably thicker and harder to do low end stuff with.)

But your best bet would be to purchase a call with larger guts.

#6 ·
From what they told me (and what Shawn said in a show), they developed the guts in house. The guts are CNCed, not molded.

There are several excellent big guts speck calls out there. Some do certain things better than others. Each call has its fan club. But they all fool specks.

#7 ·
Murmur can be achieved on most any speck call as it is more a matter of technique

Lots of voice---heavy voice---like a cow

HOWEVER,the big bores achieve this much easier and much more forgiving with hand position---with the small bore,much narrower line between true murmur or scratch and the bad rasp---which is overblow

Murmur is heavy voice---the voice to achieve rasp in the yodel sound is much lighter as more of a hum as opposed to the deep violent voice needed to murmur

John Chiasson

#8 ·
John, I've seen your videos and used a friend of mines big bore call and was able to easily get the murmur, with my CC I was able to produce the sound but at such a low volume it seems like a waste. I've since ordered a big bore call.

Not sure about the overblow portion on the CC as putting only a small portion of air will produce a cluck and the amount of air used for the murmur was almost non existent. Perhaps it is how the reed in my CC is set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
That is the problem with trying to get murmur on a small bore

As a caller,you have such a little small window that the call can handle the voice load BEFORE popping into cluck or yodel--it is a razor---and because it can't handle much---in order to ride that line--you have to cut so far back on your effort in that the resultant sound is weak and not useable---make sense? A small bore has so much built in back pressure,it can't dump enough air to handle any significant voice push

It wants to immediately go into yodel or cluck---NOT---ride in the murmur fence like a big bore---some big bores I should say

With a big bore---the fence to operate in murmur only is much wider---there is even a range in murmur that can be accomplished by a caller with upper level air control skills---meaning you can vary the tone of your murmur

The barbelly will murmur fine,I have ran one before

#13 ·
To be honest,the only way I was able to make that comparison was to first learn murmur or scratch etc.. on a big bore,then go back to a small bore just to see if those sounds were achievable

they are---but it is a razor to run

In my opinion---yes the big bores are expensive---BUT you are paying for a much wider acceptance of different air presentations for the call to still produce effective sound to be used in the field vs a small bore in which you must do it a certain way or it just wont work---especially with hand position

I use RedBone,but Riceland makes a good product,and the rnt big bore seems good as well from my limited exposure

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.