Duck Hunting Forum banner

Speck call recommendations

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Bandit29 
#1 ·
I'm new to speck hunting and looking for suggestions on speck calls.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

#5 ·
If you catch the fever, you may end up spending a small fortune chasing the latest or greatest speck call - and find yourself enjoying the greatest success with a decades old model few others have ever cared for. Was reminded of that just last evening by a speck crazed friend who's tried dang near literally every speck call made over the past 30-some seasons and ended up setting some breaking the $200 mark aside for one retailing under $20. Or, like some other long time searchers and myself, you may end up favoring calls from somewhere in the middle of their "evolution" with modifications of your own that make them the perfect fit - at least for now.

That said, I'll second the Riceland suggestion and add that, unless money really is no object, I'd make it the more economical poly version of their standard 5/8" gutted call. Most will probably find it easier to get under way on than any of the many less expensive smaller gutted calls, and it's a fine hunting call that's hugely popular here in SW Louisiana, while still not breaking most banks.

Is there a poly Riceland on my lanyard? No. But there's one (albeit slightly modified) in my pocket most everywhere I go while the specks are down, just in case my travels present an opportunity to talk to some and maybe learn something from them.

#8 ·
Gaston's was briefly the darling of the speck call world when Nathan Wright was winning contests with one, prior to going into business making bigger-gutted Red Bone calls himself. But Nathan might win speck contests blowing a tube sock.

I rotated between a Gaston and a Basin Something (predecessor to "Basin") acrylic for a season before RNT sent me one of their then new poly ($10 at one point) speck calls that put both of those high dollar calls in the classifieds. Suspect RNT pretty much copied the internal dimensions of the Olt predator call most of us old speck hands started with, which was just a better fit for me. But the point is that unless David has changed the call since that time, it has small guts and likely offers little, if any, improvement over a host of other small-gutted speck calls.

#10 ·
Biggest thing is that they're generally easier to run without misfires, which probably gives them more tonal range in most hands. (Though I know some long time small gut users who'll still call circles around most big gut users, they didn't start practicing yesterday.)

#11 ·
I blew small gutted for 20 years

I then started using redbone in 2007

My observed differences---
1) Hands--much more forgiveness in regards to hands on a big bore compared to small gutted call---small gutted call a razor
2) Effort into the call----big bores more best of both worlds---can handle a large "load" in terms of air volume and pressure BUT will run very efficiently also if needed
3) Big bore will accept more types of presentations---sustained air OR blunt lu,lu,lu,,la,la,la,la type of air presentation
4) Voice penentration---the voice penetration---how far the rasp goes into the sound before bleeding or changing into clear is much greater on a big bore---one can get voice into a small bore but the window is super small in comparison

Basically one must adapt him or herself to the operational characteristics of a small bore VS finding his or her little spot to operate within the operational range of a big bore WITHOUT so much adaptation

Hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.