new to goose calling

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

new to goose calling

Postby ILWaterfowler » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:57 am

I'm new to goose calling (actually, this should be my first year hunting waterfowl period) and I'm wanting to know some suggestions of some low cost short reed goose calls. Right now I am really considering 3 of them or so, all of which are under $30. They are the H.S. Slammer, RnT Goozilla, and Buck Gardner Canada Hammer. I have been messing around with duck calls and have had a good time with them and I was thinking about stepping up to trying some goose calls also so I thought I might ask for some suggestions.
ILWaterfowler
hunter

Postby QuackWacker08 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:26 am

Either the Zink Poly molded or Buck Gardner Canada Hammer. I vote cananda hammer. They have customer service that has no equal, and they put more time and thought into their polys than anyone Ive seen, and they sound great to boot!

For $13 at Wally World, you cant be the Hammer.
QuackWacker08
hunter

Postby ILWaterfowler » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:50 am

When you're talking about the poly molded, which model are you talking about? Just any of them or did you have a certain one in mind?
ILWaterfowler
hunter

Postby QuackWacker08 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:25 am

Id go with the PC-1.
QuackWacker08
hunter

Postby duckbuster » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:37 am

the canada hammer II is pretty good for the price bought one to teach my brother on and he is able to blow it pretty easy.
Just making my way the only way i know how!
duckbuster
hunter

Postby ShortReed » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:55 pm

Haven't tried the HS Slammer, but have blown both the Canada Hammer II the RNT Goozilla... IMO the Canada Hammer II was the hands down winner. Goozilla wasn't a bad call, I just liked the sound and range better in the Canada Hammer II. Get out there and try them out to see which you like best... and pick up a good video like Honker Talk by Shawn Stahl or a good cd like Break Through II by Dave Smith.

Also, I wouldn't overlook a walnut Winglock Whisperer or a Zink poly PC-1. Those are some good sounding, easy blowing calls too.
Clint
Take 'em
ShortReed
hunter

Postby bloodjunkie » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:43 pm

I would have to go with the H.S Slammer its a good call its easy blowin and not hard to get that goose sound your lookin for
H.S all the way

xxxBLOODJUNKIExxx
bloodjunkie
hunter

Postby doane25 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:25 pm

go with the zink and then if you can pick up his instructional video. it is by far the most in depth of the in and outs of goose calling there is out there.
doane25
hunter

Postby viper24k » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:33 am

i've been watchin these threads and thought i should head to gander mountian and see what they say....... i ran into this guy named shane who worked there and i told him that i've been on a flute forever and havent tried and short reeds........so he's like well if youre just starting off go with this....grabs the canada hammer II and has at it ......this guy was amazing.....find out that he's won the cabelas goose calling contest in minnesota 4 years in a row or something and he said the hammer is all he blows......meat or show... along with the double nasty for ducks....so i bought the canada hammer II and by the time i was home i had it sounding perty good......for 20 bux you cant go wrong with it
Theres nothin better than a moonlit sunrise over a spread of dekes

She Thinks My Dog is Sexy

Quackin, Whackin and Stackin....
viper24k
hunter

Postby ShortReed » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:37 am

Good call viper! :thumbsup: And another great thing about that call, you aren't so upset if you lose it or a part of it compared to losing a $100+ call!!! Pretty easy the pocket book to go buy another one to replace it if need be. :yes:
Clint
Take 'em
ShortReed
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:45 am

Good choice. The Canada Hammer II is my favorite poly goose call. Sounds great, easy to blow, and a great price. All of Buck's calls are my favorite and that's probly all I'll be using this year. :salude:
quackkiller
hunter

Postby ILWaterfowler » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:36 pm

Well, I ended up going with the Canada Hammer II, but I am still keeping the others in mind for the future. I just couldn't pass up $13.00 for a call. I guess my next purchase will have to be a video so I can get a little more in depth with my calling than just the honks and clucks that I get. I just can't seem to get more excited sounding with the thing....
ILWaterfowler
hunter

Postby gunman » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:27 pm

I just bought the original Hammer...man what a piece of junk, I'm thinking it must have been returned or something, because I can't get it to sound anything like a goose, an I've been working at it for almost a week non stop! I was thinking that there is no way goose callng could be this hard....must be the call, i'll return it tomorrow for the Hammer II.....we'll see how that goes......
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby gunman » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:09 am

OOps I was wrong, what I had was a Canada SLAMMER! HAHA but the call had been returned prior to me buying it, so i picked up the Hammer II sounding swweeaaattttt. -Chris
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby pike_mazter » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:44 pm

Has anyone tried RNT Quakhead's GOOZILLA?
pike_mazter
hunter

Postby duckbuster » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:30 am

yeah its not a bad call, not quite as loud as i like my shortreeds but its pretty good
Just making my way the only way i know how!
duckbuster
hunter

Postby green head2 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:26 am

I bought a canada hammer II last year I was really Impressed with it I bought a zink sr-1 this year everyone else makes it sound good but me But Im trying
green head2
hunter

Postby Greekmetallican » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:56 pm

Heres a call I suggest for you.

Big River Game Calls Long Honker Goose Flute.

YOu won't be dissapointed.

;)

Its really nice :thumbsup:
Greekmetallican
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum