Duck Hunting Forum banner

Beginner question, when to use the call?

418 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  H2Ofowler247 
#1 ·
Hello, i'm new to goose hunting. I will be hunting Canada goose in NY. My friend has some property with a small pond on it that the geese frequent, so I plan on setting up there. I got a couple of decoys and a good call, and i've been practicing. I just have a quick question about using the call. Do you guys call even when you cannot see birds, like to attract them? Or do you only call at passing flocks? Thank you

#2 ·
I call only when you can see birds or if you hear them if they are behind a line of trees. But most calling is done from 150 yards and in. Your best "call" to passing flocks is motion. Get a goose flag and when you see a flock on the horizon, hit them with a flag and that will get them turning and once they get coming then the call becomes your friend. Calling is all about reading the birds though. You're not going to want to hit them with loud and excited talk when they are coming in. Especially with a pond, birds are going to generally be more content and not aggressive and excited. So read them. If they are shying off or going to land short, raise the pitch and tempo of your calling and then once they start coming back calm it down and seem content.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.