Duck Hunting Forum banner

Recommendations Please

684 views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  cluckmeister 
#1 ·
I have been goose hunting for over a decade. Closer to 15 years. Ive been blowing a Zink LM1 for quite sometime. 6/7 years, maybe 8. I kill a lot of geese each season and have no issues whatsoever with my call or calling ability. Sometimes its just a want to. If I were going to buy a new call, what is a good choice? I would like to give Tim Grounds calls a shot but without having anywhere here locally to try them out its hard to shell out $150-200 with hoping that's the one for me. Not interested in competitions, just a goose killing call! Thanks!

#2 ·
Im a long flute fan, so Id suggest an acrylic Sean Mann Easternshoreman, I have several different styles of calls dating back to the mid 70s and the only one Ive used for the last 15 years or so is the Mann. Its not a low pitched call like a Big River ,but, Id call it a mid range, its really good on windy days ( we have a lot of them in Kansas) as the pitch seems to cut thru the wind. It blows easy and its easy to double cluck, murmur, plead etc with

#4 ·
jstewart_1981 said:
Ive never used a flute but definitely not against the thought of having one. A friend has one and seem to be a little faster and more responsive than a short reed.
That's my opinion as well! Just remember a call is like a musical instrument, the more you practice the better you get.

#7 ·
cluckmeister said:
Goose calls have came a long ways in the last 40 years, all for the better
I'm all for using whatever you've confidence in, but it would seem a whole lot less hassle to master a handy little modern short reed call than haul one of those 30-some-year-old bats on hunts.

#8 ·
Rick Hall said:
cluckmeister said:
Goose calls have came a long ways in the last 40 years, all for the better
I'm all for using whatever you've confidence in, but it would seem a whole lot less hassle to master a handy little modern short reed call than haul one of those 30-some-year-old bats on hunts.
Rick, Ive got a couple of the short reeds and just don't care for them and as for hauling them around , I venture to say I could hand you my call bag and you couldn't tell the difference as to whether I had a short call or a flute in it. Another 4 inches (estimate) just doesn't make any difference. But, as you said its all about what a fellow has confidence in.

#9 ·
cluckmeister said:
...as for hauling them around , I venture to say I could hand you my call bag and you couldn't tell the difference as to whether I had a short call or a flute in it. Another 4 inches (estimate) just doesn't make any difference.
Well, maybe if you're talking about a call suitcase. The ES probably has a foot on the short-reed I favor and could be the log that broke this mule's back if added to my already loaded lanyard. Know you're far from alone in favoring them, but there's no getting around how logistically clunky they are. Would be still be so if the only call on the string.

#10 ·
Rick Hall said:
cluckmeister said:
...as for hauling them around , I venture to say I could hand you my call bag and you couldn't tell the difference as to whether I had a short call or a flute in it. Another 4 inches (estimate) just doesn't make any difference.
Well, maybe if you're talking about a call suitcase. The ES probably has a foot on the short-reed I favor and could be the log that broke this mule's back if added to my already loaded lanyard. Know you're far from alone in favoring them, but there's no getting around how logistically clunky they are. Would be still be so if the only call on the string.
Rick, our goose hunting is field hunting, and most of the time we drive right up to where we unloaded everything, in my bag I usually have the Mann,a Big River flute and a Riceland and Primos spec calls. Also in the bag is a box of 10 gauge shells and a pair of brown jersey gloves, Its just a typical blind bag and each call is on a separate lanyard ,I have the lanyard with the Mann around my neck the others hang in the blind should I need them. As for clunky, I never notice, I did go down and measure and the 4 inches extra length (Guess) actually is 5.5 LOL Checks 10 inches. Bottom line is every one uses what they feel comfortable with and blow best.

#12 ·
Rick Hall said:
Are you saying an Eastern Shoreman is only 10" long? If that's true, I've only seen them run by midgets.
Rick I measured mine with 12 inch calipers and its 10.437 long

Heres something I found in doing some research

On a dare he entered the 1981 world goose calling championships and placed fourth. After competing for a couple of years, he grew dissatisfied with the calls on the market and began designing his own. The result was a 10 3/8 long call named the Longshoreman which brings to mind a souvenir baseball bat. The goose world had never heard anything like it. In 84 he didn't win the contest but racked up a fistful of orders. With the call he won the worlds championship in 85 and 86

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.