What to do with flute

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

What to do with flute

Postby dukkilr6 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:36 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to calling geese. I have always carried a goose call for the heck of it when duck hunting, but dont really know what to do with it. I know a flute is not as versatile as a short reed but what sounds can I make with it besides your basic honk, and how do I make these sounds. I also own a short reed but can hardly make a sound with it. any help is appreciated.

Thanks Fellas

DUKKILR
dukkilr6
hunter

Postby Robberwood » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:36 pm

Single clucks and honks. Very basic sounds. Thats about it! If you know how to blow a duck call i would just go straight to a short reed... :thumbsup:
"Dont land over there!"
So what time are they suppose to show up?
Robberwood
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:47 pm

:withstupid: if you learn the flute or use it in the season to come just forget the flute because it is alot harder to use a flute and then switch over to a short reed and use the short reed yea you make suck at first to be blunt about it but in the long run when you get use to it you'll kill alot more geese.
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cobra » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:41 pm

Use a flute as a long range attention getter using simple drawn out pleading honks (really tough to consistantly do much else with it) thing does seem to have some range. Have had them turn back towards us when nearly a mile away. Inside 500 yds, or once completely turned, it seems to spook them, just have to use to much air to get it to work, which is way to loud. Now it's time for the short reed, much more versatile and really the one to master.
Cobra
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:29 am

some flutes are loud but just about every short reed is louder well mostly the acrylic ones and you can put some good air behind it and you can really get those birds coming keep working the same call with just less air which would make it more useful and instead of have a flute and a short reed you would just have you5 $150 short reed. If you buy a short reed don't buy cheap learn on the best and you will be the best if you practice.
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cobra » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:04 pm

Honestly not fond of acrylic calls but do use them at times. Being an old timer as compared with most here I learned on wood, feel I can do more with the old Olt Big Bay than most can do effectively on a newer type. ~35 years at it is a good head start though. Most of it is confidence, know what it can and can't do, practice, then using it in the field is like an afterthought without any worry.
Cobra
hunter

On flutes

Postby macdaddy » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:05 am

dukkilr6: here's how I do it w/ a flute. To get the gutteral honks, puff your cheeks & blow "too", "too" into the call. For the higher notes, blow "whit". So for an average honk, blow "too - whit", "too - whit". for fast clucks just trill the "too", so it almost sounds like a "b-liip!" For long comebacks I blow "toooooooo - whiiiiiiiiiiiiit", "toooooooo - whiiiiiiiiiiiiiit". Too lock 'em in I use the feeding call, "dah","dah","dah","dah","dah","dah". These you can do on a flute w/ some practice. Hope this helps.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby super_mag » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:40 pm

throw it
Luke
super_mag
hunter

Postby Robberwood » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:48 pm

and put some #2 3.5" into it right?!
"Dont land over there!"
So what time are they suppose to show up?
Robberwood
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:09 pm

:withstupid: its all about the short reeds
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby QuackWacker08 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:36 am

Cobra wrote:Use a flute as a long range attention getter using simple drawn out pleading honks (really tough to consistantly do much else with it) thing does seem to have some range. Have had them turn back towards us when nearly a mile away. Inside 500 yds, or once completely turned, it seems to spook them, just have to use to much air to get it to work, which is way to loud. Now it's time for the short reed, much more versatile and really the one to master.

Your one dang good caller if you can switch from a flute to a shortie without shootin a miss note and scaring them geese off.
QuackWacker08
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:00 pm

Lots of paractice and have been doing it awhile. Not sure if I'm all that good but do pull my fair share of birds. Still think it's more about locaton and cover than calling.
Cobra
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum