Decoy painting

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Decoy painting

Postby T Man » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:55 pm

I picked up 2 good sized pickup loads of waterfowl gear today for a steal of a deal. In the mix were 7 canada floaters, and 3 full bodies and a bunch of shells. The floaters have seen better days and need to get re-painted. Can someone gell me the colors I am going to need to pick up to get these guys back into huntable shape? The heads will get flocked, but the body colors im un-sure of. Id rather use a cheep base spray paint that is readily avaliable at wally world, homo depot etc. to block in the color groups, then go back and detail in the feathers. Long story short, what colors should I be looking for for the back, and the chest? I was thinking a dark brown for the back, and a grey for the chest, then go over with a very dry application of white on a paint brush to give the feather detail. This sound fairly doable? I dont have pipe dreams of making these look as good as the dakotas, or the other high dollar dekes, just want them to look like a goose from the sky.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Re: Decoy painting

Postby Professor Chaos » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:18 pm

the original hardcores were painted with 3 different colors... I cant recall them off the top of my head but a google search might yeild the results.
Believe Everything You Read On The Internet
Professor Chaos
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:51 pm

You are thinking along the right track. I will never brush paint another decoy. I bought the Krylon flat tan, flat brown and flat black and started in on my old Flambeau Field or water decoys. I am going to let them sit for a couple of weeks then coat them with Krylon clear coat flat. 1 can of flat back will get you through 12 to 14 decoys depending on how bad the original paint is and the tan and brown will get you through 7 to 8. They look a lot better sitting out in the sun than in the pics. After the paint and clear coat I will flock the heads, cheek patches and the white on the sides of the butts. :yes:

Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby jellotree » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:05 pm

Here's a higdon magnum shell I did. I have it side by side with one with the original paint job (that was still in good condition). I re-painted the whole dozen as most were pretty chipped up.

I used Krylon camo tan, brown, and black. Spray the tan first to cover the chest and the entire body up to the last row of feathers before the tail. Then start misting on the brown, on an steep angle spraying from front to back. Then do a light coating of black to darken up the brown a bit, especially toward the back. I've done more since this picture was taken and they turned out even better.

The closest shell is the one I painted, the far one is the original

The one on the right is the one I painted.
jellotree
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:01 pm

Dang those look really good. :thumbsup: Did you do the clear coat? I sprayed one side of a silo that still had good paint on it and now it glares in the sun even though the clear coat is flat finish. I think I am going to take the clear coat back and trade for more paint. Did you use the Krylon Khaki, brown and black camo paint?
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:35 pm

Jellotree.......I am in the process of using your method to put another coat on my dekes and change the pattern. I am getting the feathering pattern by spraying tan from tail to front at a sharp and and them using your method from front to back with the brown and black and they look awsome. I came home with 9 more cans of paint and am getting ready to do a spread makeover. :yes:

Does anyone know if they make the Krylon Camo paint in gray? The tan looks good but I would like to try gray if they have it on a decoy to compare.

I did take 3 cans of the flat clear coat back to Wally World. The shine it put on the dekes was just not acceptable.
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:47 am

jellotree wrote:I used Krylon camo tan, brown, and black. Spray the tan first to cover the chest and the entire body up to the last row of feathers before the tail. Then start misting on the brown, on an steep angle spraying from front to back. Then do a light coating of black to darken up the brown a bit, especially toward the back.

That is the best advice for more professional looking decoys. Paint them like he suggested and you will be very happy with the way they look.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jellotree » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:06 pm

DuckinFool wrote:Does anyone know if they make the Krylon Camo paint in gray? The tan looks good but I would like to try gray if they have it on a decoy to compare.

I don't believe they make a grey camo. I've seen a flat grey paint from Rustolium, but it looked too dark. The tan (khaki) color matches my Higdon motion stackables and Hardcore decoys, so I just stuck with that.

As for shine. Yes, some "flat" paints still shine. But in any case, you should never direct spray (that goes for clear coat). The moment the paint globs on, it'll be shinny when dry.
jellotree
hunter

Postby zeus50 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:03 pm

so i'd like to touch up some of mine...any chance some one did a youtube? I'm a visual kinda guy...

Z
zeus50
hunter

Postby goose-chaser » Wed May 11, 2011 2:49 pm

Z - It's really easy. Take your tan and spray it from the back so that it gets in all the feather detail on the edge of the feathers. Then take the brown and spray from the front. By doing this you won't cover the tan's feather detail you sprayed earlier, but will cover the tan on the feathers. It's real simple, just take one decoy and try a couple different times and see how it is. After the first one, I am able to do it rather quickly now. I do 4 or 5 decoys in tan, let it dry and then do the brown. I found that the Krylon camo in tan and brown or the Rustoleum in tan or brown work outstanding, with no glare!!! Good Luck!
goose-chaser
Newb

Postby MODuckkiller » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:20 pm

Is valspar a no-no? I bought brown and tan colors from valspar.
Just curious cause its all talk of krylon, nothing bout valspar.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby zeus50 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:28 am

as long as its flat paint, i think you'll be ok. I couldn't find flat black krylon and used the rustoleum flat black...i didn't like the rustoleum spray cause it seem to powder and flake off... not sure if it was me, the paint, or the humidity...either way in the end they looked good....

only advice i say is....GO EASY ON THE DARK COLORS....i can't say that enough...if you think you want to add more brown or black...put the can down...walk away...then come back. look at them from a distance all around...then decide if youw ant more...

i sprayed all of mine then stepped back and realized how dark they were...they still look good...but they are dark.
zeus50
hunter

Postby gderr » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:33 pm

jellotree- how do you get all the light and dark feather detail on the back and wings with just using a rattle can?
gderr
Newb

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:35 am

have a squizz in an auto store the spray and sand primers come in some usefull colours tan being one of them and are non shiney as it is a filling type primer to build up small dings in car paintwork.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby scott56379 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:32 am

T Man wrote:I picked up 2 good sized pickup loads of waterfowl gear today for a steal of a deal. In the mix were 7 canada floaters, and 3 full bodies and a bunch of shells. The floaters have seen better days and need to get re-painted. Can someone gell me the colors I am going to need to pick up to get these guys back into huntable shape? The heads will get flocked, but the body colors im un-sure of. Id rather use a cheep base spray paint that is readily avaliable at wally world, homo depot etc. to block in the color groups, then go back and detail in the feathers. Long story short, what colors should I be looking for for the back, and the chest? I was thinking a dark brown for the back, and a grey for the chest, then go over with a very dry application of white on a paint brush to give the feather detail. This sound fairly doable? I dont have pipe dreams of making these look as good as the dakotas, or the other high dollar dekes, just want them to look like a goose from the sky.

One site that might be helpful is www.howtofixduckandgoosedecoys.com. It has videos on how to paint decoys, how to flock decoys and how fix decoys. I hope this helps.
scott56379
Newb

Return to Goose Decoy Forum