silehouette goose decoys ( real geese pro series )

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

silehouette goose decoys ( real geese pro series )

Postby trapperzach » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:38 pm

Does anyone use just silehouette goose decoys by them selves? alot of the fields i have access to i have to walk in, have been looking into the real geese decoys, but was wondering how well they worked by themselves? I just started goose hunting last year and am looking to add silehouettes to what few decoys i have.

Also seen big flock silehouettes, i seen a website they're only 315$ for 7 dozen, does anyone have any feedback on them?

looking for feedback on good silehouette decoys, help is appreciated

thanks
trapperzach
hunter

Re: silehouette goose decoys ( real geese pro series )

Postby fowladdict » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:17 pm

Ive never liked silhouettes never killed geese like i wanted. Ive hunted over them many times and have had success just never enough to buy some myself. This year i hunted over some realgeese (usaully hunted over outlaws for silhouettes) 5 dozen i believe in a cornfield while it was spitting snow and the birds loved them killed 4 man limits of geese and a ton of ducks i was very impressed I hunted with him for 4 days and every day killed my limit. He uses his all year until late season and then he switches over to 18 ffds, but he swears by them and has over 60 neck collars to his name and endless leg bands. Im a honker killer ( you can keep the ducks) and have always favored fullbodys but now im going to buy some realgeese after that hunt at least for early seaseon. And to answer youre question about Big flock decoys I would stay away from them and run all realgeese plus you have alot more positions to choose from with realgeese and the all flocked ones are very nice to. Just my expierence with them thats all.
fowladdict
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:19 am

i ve never hunted over them myself but wouldent mind. it has been said that on sunny days and when the conditions are not ideal for gunning, the glare from the sun can reflect off of them pretty bad. witch brings me to my next point...i dont own any, havent hunted over them, nor have i ever seen them, but Avalanch decoy company makes sileouettes that are fully flocked. i think if i was to buy some, i would pick some of them up.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby KandFishChicken » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:53 am

fowladdict wrote:And to answer youre question about Big flock decoys I would stay away from them and run all realgeese plus you have alot more positions to choose from with realgeese and the all flocked ones are very nice to. Just my expierence with them thats all.

fowladdict.......A couple questions for you.

What is a Realgeese Plus? Are you sure you didn't mean Real-Geese Pro?

How much experience have you had with both Big Flock and Real-Geese to recommend staying away from BF and why? BF's are nearly $150 cheaper per dozen and look darn good.

Just wondering.

Anyone else have some imput on this??
KiloFoxtrotCharlie
KandFishChicken
hunter

Postby fowladdict » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:49 am

The plus ment I would run realgeese, plus you get alot more head positions. The plus was talking about getting more head positions not the type of decoy. Ive said this before decoys are a personal choice and I can only give him advice on what ive used before. I hunt geese more than I hunt ducks and my hunting group if we had to run silhouettes would run realgeese as we didnt have much success with bigflocks. The limit in late season ohio is 2 a day and some guys still kill there limits over magnum carrylite shells while others like myself shoot our birds over ffds, not one decoy is better than the other but the birds seem to favor some to others on different days. All i can tell him is i didnt have much success with bigflock decoys. Could it have been my calling? my hide? the weather I dont know but I havent had much luck with bigflocks as I have had with realgeese, just my opinion.

-fowl
fowladdict
hunter

Postby KandFishChicken » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:27 pm

Fowl......if you had the two different silo's side by side.....was there a night n day difference between them?
KiloFoxtrotCharlie
KandFishChicken
hunter

Postby fowladdict » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:30 pm

At 10 yards to the human eye, yes there are a diiference between the two decoys, but at 30 yards to the birds eye I doubt it. As i stated decoys are a personal choice and I was just stating which one i had better luck with. Will both work? yes but if i was buying silos realgeese would be my choice thats all.

-fowl
fowladdict
hunter

Postby huntall6 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:13 pm

i saw these a while back and thought that they would work better than silo's alone.

http://hawkeyedecoys.com/default.aspx
steve-o wrote:Fight like a kid and you will never lose.

vincentpa wrote: My hairdresser is gay.
huntall6
State Moderator

Postby richard rouleau » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:03 pm

i use real geese deoys all time i have walk in lots of place to hunt geese here in utah the silo work great i got 3 dozen lots of my hunting is down on lakes and i do some field hunt to .
southern utah waterfowler
richard rouleau
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:23 am

we have always run a few full bodies and shells when we run silos, we only use them when we need #'s. do they work yes! but as good as full bodies? NO.

i belive when fowladdict used them he was purely in a place where the geese would comitt easy and wantedto be there, just grab some shells and a haf doz full bodies.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby fowladdict » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:08 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:we have always run a few full bodies and shells when we run silos, we only use them when we need #'s. do they work yes! but as good as full bodies? NO.

i belive when fowladdict used them he was purely in a place where the geese would comitt easy and wantedto be there, just grab some shells and a haf doz full bodies.

Actually it was late season tough birds we used them on. My personal rule is I never mix silos and fullbodys. Personally I have had better luck using them seperate not saying your way is wrong its just not the way I do it. Now back to the hunt there was 3 goose hunters including myself there my preference is fullbodys but it was a buddies field and his preference is silos so we used realgeese. We killed a pair and 2 different singles that commited rather easily but we all shot our limits on a group of about 50 birds which were educated birds. first we used three pole flags to bring them in from over a half a mile then hand flags with ecxititng calling at the birds till they were about 100 yards away then we finished them with soft clucks honks and murmers, they circled 4 times and were shot about 10 yards. The point of this story is not to brag but to inform you we killed a large group of heavily pressured birds over nothing but silos when if we wanted to the 3 of us could have put out over 10 dozen fullbodys and at least 5 dozen shells, but the birds will finish into silos if your hidden well. Now these birds were not feeding in this feild or even paying attention to us until we brought out the flags so it was not where the birds wanted to be it was a traffic hunt and these were not easy birds but late season birds that were shot off their roost and weary already.
fowladdict
hunter

Postby pro-fowl decoys » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:36 pm

I have switched to using nothing but silhouettes and I have changed a few local hunters spreads to all silhouettes. What I like about using silhouettes is the fact that I can carry 5 doz. on each shoulder, they store flat, they weigh very little, they cost less, some have motion stakes and they are very realistic. If you hunt in a snow storm you will be brushing snow off of shells and full bodies every couple of minutes however snow does not stick to the sides of silhouettes. Are silhouettes perfect NO, but i find more pros then cons with them...

Its coming quick !!!
pro-fowl decoys
hunter

Postby Kody » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:06 am

I run only full bodies in front and transition into a mix of fullbodies and real geese pro II. The front line up consist of 30 fullbodies, and then I mix in around the blind 4 dozen real geese pro II with about another 30 fullbodies. I only use silo to help hide the blinds and add numbers. Hiding 4 blinds and 2 dogs can be an issue with high pressure geese. Another reason my trailer only holds about 60 full bodies and I did not feel our blinds were conealed good enough for high pressure birds. Silo's pack small and fit in the trailer. Only because I am a decoy junky I decided to flock all of my Pro II decoys. Here is a sample below. I just makes the heads blend better with the full body decoys.
Enjoy
Attachments
flocked head.jpg
flocked head.jpg (42 KiB) Viewed 7359 times
Kody
hunter

Postby bobalong » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:46 pm

When my son and I are hunting we only use silo's. Hunting with buddies they put some of their shells etc out but we have done just as well with just silos. We use big flock and Real Geese Pro II's. They both seem to work well but the Real Geese are definitly more realastic.... to the human eye anyway. I like the stake system on the Real Geese better, will probably be changing out 2 dozen of the big flock this year. Some pics of the big flock and Real Geese side by side, you can see the difference, silos even showing better than the shells
bobalong
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:01 pm

pro-fowl decoys wrote:I have switched to using nothing but silhouettes and I have changed a few local hunters spreads to all silhouettes. What I like about using silhouettes is the fact that I can carry 5 doz. on each shoulder, they store flat, they weigh very little, they cost less, some have motion stakes and they are very realistic. If you hunt in a snow storm you will be brushing snow off of shells and full bodies every couple of minutes however snow does not stick to the sides of silhouettes. Are silhouettes perfect NO, but i find more pros then cons with them...

Its coming quick !!!

and if its snowing good luck getting those sillos in the frozen ground.

2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby fowladdict » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:58 pm

and if its snowing good luck getting those sillos in the frozen ground.[/quote]

They make stake punches or you can use a drill, Seems to me you hate silos?
fowladdict
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:57 pm

fowladdict wrote:
They make stake punches or you can use a drill, Seems to me you hate silos?

and thats still tough to do and drilling would just be a pain in the @S$. I dont hate or dislike silos, I just dont feel they work as well as full bodies and shells do besacuse they are a 2d decoy, but I belive they are a great way to increase #'s in a spread.

2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby BlackWolf » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:07 am

bobalong,
Your decoys look great. I am just getting started into goose hunting (bought some lesser quality decoys to start) but will be adding real geese in the future. Thank you for the photos. Its nice to see these at longer than arm reach distances to get a feel for what they look like!
BlackWolf
Newb

Postby Mac @ Middle Fork » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:45 pm

Guys,
I know this is an old post but I just posted a for sale in the classifieds where we are selling our silo's. Selling 8 dozen of the outlaws.
They worked great for us. We would use the shells and big feet down wind and had more shells mixed in with the silo's upwind. Always worked great for us. We killed a lot of geese over these when we used to get canada geese in west tn. Now we get a few canadas but mainly specks and snows and blues. Anyway if any of you are looking to add to your spread let me know or check out the post and the pictures of how we did it.

Tim
Mac @ Middle Fork
Newb

Postby don novicki » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:30 am

I switched to all silly's last year because I just cant get all my shells, yes shell decoys, out to the field on my own anymore (old age) and have had no problem decoying geese, even late season geese. I run 2 dozen Avalanche and 2 dzn Big flock. No problems at all decoying geese. Unfortunately Avalanche is out of business but if he were still making them I would buy another couple dzn in a hurry........ :thumbsup:
don novicki
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:38 pm

have yall seen the Big Al takem silos, look good and reasonably priced
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, ***** sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby luie b » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:24 pm

I wish I would've had some this year. It was blowing snow real hard and I couldn't keep the snow off the decoys and hundreds of geese were pouring into the field 200 yards away.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 4
Wood Ducks - 1
luie b
hunter

Postby Erie » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:03 pm

WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Postby Storm » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:23 pm

Would highly recommend the Big Al silo's. I have used real geese, outlaws, and big flock silo's before and big al's decoys look and are made better thanthe outlaws and big flocks. While comparing them to the real geese they are quite comparable but the big difference is the price. I am in the process of selling my real geese though cause I like big als decoys just as much if not better because of the option of lessers and life size.

I have been using some of these silos for 2 seasons now and they hold up and the geese like them as well.
Storm
hunter

Postby Erie » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:35 pm

Storm wrote:Would highly recommend the Big Al silo's. I have used real geese, outlaws, and big flock silo's before and big al's decoys look and are made better thanthe outlaws and big flocks. While comparing them to the real geese they are quite comparable but the big difference is the price. I am in the process of selling my real geese though cause I like big als decoys just as much if not better because of the option of lessers and life size.

I have been using some of these silos for 2 seasons now and they hold up and the geese like them as well.

Do you sell them? Just wondering what your kickback was?
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Next

Return to Goose Decoy Forum