best decoys on market

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

best decoys on market

Postby openwatercaller » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:04 pm

I narrowed it down to GHG, Tanglefree, and Bigfoot decoys. The tanglefree's are the cheapest and look nice but would like to know some advice. What are the best decoys and how many should be enough with 3 dozen other shells?
openwatercaller
hunter

Re: best decoys on market

Postby The Shovla » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:22 pm

Bigfoot for sure. you can beat the hell out of them and they just keep going
The Shovla
hunter

Postby cargodoyle » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:03 pm

Quartz Mountain DU Co-Chairmen
Eternal Outdoor Films
Zink Calls Z-Unit
“Above all else, cherish that most solemn pride which must be yours to be willing to lay so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.”
– Abraham Lincoln 1863
cargodoyle
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:35 pm

$500.00 per dozen! Too rich for me.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby pheasants » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:41 am

cargodoyle wrote:Take a look at the Avian-x's...there are about as tough as they come

HAHAHA those are junk my friend! The toughest by far have to be the older style bigfoots! The B2s are no where near the orginals. Second would have to be dakotas. 3rd would than probably go to Zinks Avian x or the tanglefrees.

I personally run Dakotas for the purpose of realistic shadows and durability! They look better than Bigfoots and they do provide some movement! Totally not impressed with the Avian-xs at all

But on a side note it really does not matter which brand you get. It just comes down to how much you want to spend and size/weight. I actually kill most of my geese over sillouetes still but than go to the dakotas but if you are in the right field than even POS GHG will work just fine.
pheasants
hunter

Postby Tealer » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:04 am

Of those choices I would run the GHG at least they are a touch cheaper. Though in Eastern WA your gonna want a whole bunch. Contact this guy, he seems to have a bunch NIB.

http://kpr.craigslist.org/spo/2605496469.html

Though I would recommend a better decoy, GHG will work.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby A-Bomb » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:49 am

Original Big Foots...I dont care what forum you frequent they are always amongst the top recommended..and for good reason. They put geese at your feet and they're durable as hell.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby mgerlach » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:16 pm

bigfoots for one big reason, THERE AMERICAN MADE (not b-2s though there made in china with most other brands of decoys)
mgerlach
hunter

Postby tcdrakeman » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:39 am

Dave smith decoys. Also made in America, but pricey.
tcdrakeman
hunter

Postby garmater » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:22 pm

Get some dakotas. it will be the best money you have ever spent.
Those areant just any ducks those are dirty ducks.
Dirty Duck Mafia
garmater
hunter

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:53 am

I have all three of the above mentioned.... IMO bigfoots are the best based on durability.. You cant break them.. Because downfall with them is hauling them and storage space..

I got some tanglefrees this year and have to say after hunting over them a bunch they are the best bang for the buck.. Setting back looking at a spread with GHG Pro, FFD, BF and Hardcores the tangle free look the most realistic.. The body design is more realistic than a GHG.. They are somewhat pourous with a lot of feather detail and the pourous design seems to limit shine in frosty conditions.. One downfall is the heads fall off easy, but they go on easy as well, they dont lock like a GHG, but alot of my GHG lesser heads have broken, so maybe its a good thing..

If the paint holds up well through abuse this season I will be adding tanglefrees from now on..
ICDEDTURKES
hunter

Postby jason227@switched.com » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:31 am

I've hunted over all the decoys named in this post. After seeing the reaction from the geese I saved up my money and got 24 Avian X, flocked heads. 2 sentry 1 feeder; with the rest of the money I got a dozen of the gig flocked shells. My dad uses a cabelas credit card and got it all for like $830 but he used all his points so got it for $0.00. Fantastic looking spread, but have to be super super careful. So I think overall I got the best spread money can buy, but pickin up takes 2x as long cause I have to treat um like eggs. But the results show. Set up in places geeses don't go but with um but if set up right and a bit a callin the geese make it a hot spot. Dive straight out the air. http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-AVE7206S http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/ ... T.tsrc=AFF

As they say, money can't buy a great caller. Well I bought a ton of cheap calls but in the end the money paid off for this toyhttps://store.fieldprovencalls.com/p ... asp?p=3702 after awhile of constant tuning I got it singing just right, except it's not very loud, very good for geese that are close, use my cheap calls if they're wayssss out there.
good luck*
jason227@switched.com
Newb

Postby Black Smoke » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:40 am

I have 5 dozen new Tanglefree fully flocked full body geese and I absolutely love them. THey are double bagged tho I used pillow cases and they are durable I just would rather be safe than sorry. I also have the new fully flocked full body mallards and they are second to none there is no other decoy on the market that can even come close and I dont care what anyone says about that.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby Boocephus » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:14 am

Same question was asked on another site. They were all stuck on the DSD decoys for a $1000 a doz. I have no opinion on those, there's no way I'd spend that. I've got 3 yr. old GHG's that are just fine still. Just gotta take care of them. Now there customer service, thats a little different. There a little slow.
Boocephus
hunter

Postby Takeem406 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:19 pm

Hard to beat an Avian X AXF!
No ring bases and these decoys have handled Montana breezes of 45 mph. Not a single tip over yet!
I love the bases! The size is perfect too for walking in. And the soft plastic makes me tough as well as the one piece design!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1386821928854.jpg
Takeem406
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum