Mixing Silos in a spread

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Mixing Silos in a spread

Postby weukolar » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:50 pm

I run about 110 bigfoot canadas with about 2 dozen averys for motion. A guy has about 200 outlaw and real geese silos he wanted to sell. I have never hunted with them and was wondering if they were any good or don't waste my money. We hunt on winterwheat with zero stubble and always lie amongst the decoys. I thought it could help hide us a little bit.
If so how do you implement them in your spreads?
weukolar
hunter

Re: Mixing Silos in a spread

Postby duaney2 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:50 am

I mix my Real Geese 2 in with my partners Bigfoots wherever I want. Just angle them this way and that 6 feet away from each other and the other dekes and they look great. I hunt them by themselves too and they look and work great. The other thing i would say about the Real Geese 2 versus Big Foots is that they have zero shine, which is a very good thing.
duaney2
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:47 am

I use mostly silos (home made). I use about 100 silos more or less.
I only have two dozen shells and a hand full of full bodies.
My spread is 90% silos and I do just fine...especially when it snows.

I put silos all around me and then sprinkle the shells around the perimeter. I put silos right around the edge of my blind and have to shoot over them. It helps me to hide I think. I have them packed all around me.

I make my own "layout" blinds out of chicken wire, stakes, and weeds from the site or carry some in. I throw 2" foam insulation board that I paint black in my layout as a floor to keep dry and warm. Keeps my butt out of the mud.

You guys would probably laugh but I kill geese with the "el-cheepo" setup I use.
I can afford to just leave the silos in the field and let them freeze in. I think they cost me 2-3 bucks each to make (not 20-25).

To make your own silos is very, very inexpensive. I use Luan, builder's stakes and flat spray paint and can make 2-3 doz./day or more.

I traced pictures of silos in Cabela's and then went to copy shop and blew up my tracings to the right size. I made one feeder and one sentry (pattern). The rest is pretty much easy to figure out.

I've had geese land in my spread so many times that I'm convinced that full body decoys are just a gimmick. Shells and silos are just fine. Now someone will disagree but I don't care. I just don't have the jingle to hunt geese with a 16' covered trailer full of full-bodies that's towed by a diesel 4x4 duelly truck. More like a truck full of junk in my old Toyota Camry...I exagerate.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby JustStartin' » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:21 pm

aunt betty wrote:I've had geese land in my spread so many times that I'm convinced that full body decoys are just a gimmick. Shells and silos are just fine. Now someone will disagree but I don't care. I just don't have the jingle to hunt geese with a 16' covered trailer full of full-bodies that's towed by a diesel 4x4 duelly truck. More like a truck full of junk in my old Toyota Camry...I exagerate.

You read my mind.
JustStartin'
hunter

Postby BGipson » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Here's a couple of my buddies I took hunting last fall. We had 50 homemade silo's set out and wound up with 21 birds between the morning and evening hunt. They may not look like much up close but move out 100 yards and they match up with any FB. New decoys are meant to decoy the hunter out of his hard-earned money more than anything else. The first 15 birds (5 flocks from 1-5 birds consecutively) all decoyed so close we didn't miss a single bird.

Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:58 am

BGipson wrote:Here's a couple of my buddies I took hunting last fall. We had 50 homemade silo's set out and wound up with 21 birds between the morning and evening hunt. They may not look like much up close but move out 100 yards and they match up with any FB. New decoys are meant to decoy the hunter out of his hard-earned money more than anything else. The first 15 birds (5 flocks from 1-5 birds consecutively) all decoyed so close we didn't miss a single bird.

there is no way you shot all of those birds without a benelli, lol!!!
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 96
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby cuppedandkilled » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:28 am

75% of my decoy spread consists of Sillo's. I do pretty well each year, and plan on adding a few more dozen BIG AL's sillos this year, sillos work if you know how to use them correctly!
cuppedandkilled
hunter

Postby BGipson » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:13 am

duckdozer wrote:
BGipson wrote:Here's a couple of my buddies I took hunting last fall. We had 50 homemade silo's set out and wound up with 21 birds between the morning and evening hunt. They may not look like much up close but move out 100 yards and they match up with any FB. New decoys are meant to decoy the hunter out of his hard-earned money more than anything else. The first 15 birds (5 flocks from 1-5 birds consecutively) all decoyed so close we didn't miss a single bird.

there is no way you shot all of those birds without a benelli, lol!!!

My buddies actually borrowed those 2 beat-to-hell guns from our job and I was shooting an 870 :yes: I've upgraded to a Versa Max in the off season so we'll see what I can pile up with a semi. Not a huge fan of paying 500 more for a gun that operates the same or lesser to mine but to each their own :lol3:
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby alloutwar13 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:06 pm

I mix alot of Silos into my Fbs too just to fill in a little bit. I also use alot of Silos around my layouts and usually stick a few in the stubble straps just to break my blind up some.
WisconsinWaterfowler wrote "I would rather get raped by a dude than have that happen to my d^&%"
alloutwar13
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum