Tires as Goose decoys?

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Tires as Goose decoys?

Postby fraserjim » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:16 am

I have heard you can cut a tire in half and post it on a stick and use as a goose decoy. Has anybody heard of this or tried it? If you have let me no how it worked.

Thanks,
Jim
Be safe!
fraserjim
Newb

Postby yellowlab » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:55 pm

if there are doub geese i bet it would work pretty good espscialy if you put a lil wite on them... but
HEVEY ASS f^(*ING HE!!
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mccree79 » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:08 am

You don't need a stick. Just cut a tire in half, turn it inside out and lay it down. The idea is to have at least 100 of these to create a "black hole".

These need to be set away from you and your best decoys. They are nothing more than an attention getter. If you ever hunt in Canada the locals use piles of dirt instead of tires.

(I just noticed you are from Canada, I think you could kill birds with them.)

The only bad thing is the weight of these decoys. You need a lot and if it snows or frosts you will need to clean of the decoys, and the weight may dicourage pick of decoys before the frost or snow.

Do NOT let the geese "work" the tire decoys, call and flag them to you.
mccree79
hunter

Re: Tires as Goose decoys?

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:13 am

fraserjim wrote:I have heard you can cut a tire in half and post it on a stick and use as a goose decoy. Has anybody heard of this or tried it? If you have let me no how it worked.

Thanks,
Jim

If I were you i wouldt try it because if you get warey geese that may flare them. but if you do it dont put to many out make sure you mix it with your decoys.
Buttshot[/list]

Postby h2ofwlr » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:17 pm

I saw a current magazine about it that actually shows a pic of the tire decoys.

"Waterfowl Hunter" #21 put out by Wahitetail Hunter, about $8 and on sale until mid Jan. at the newsstands.

Anyway, there is an article in there about Freddie Zink and it shows him using tires for decoys. But then again it also shows him using Bigfoots... so maybe it is a reprint since he is into Avery big time now. But it appears they are 1/3 tires and are painted from the picture
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Goose Decoy Forum