flocking question

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

flocking question

Postby zeus50 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:53 am

So i flocked a bunch of my goose decoys at the beginning of the season, and i have a couple of questions.

this is in reference to bigfoot heads.

First:
I did not sand or scuff the heads before painting (flat black oil bases restoleum) and applying the flocking. The flock seems to be coming off pretty easily already. IF i scuff/sand the heads next time, will it make the flocking more durable? I also read somewhere, that people put a second coat of paint and flocking, does that actually help?

Second:
I got my flocking off of ebay. When i have a flocked head from bigfoot beside a flocked head that I did, the flocking looks likes its either a more towards grey than black, even though it looks black in the bag. Is it the quality of the flocking? If i order somewhere else, will the flocking be more BLACK?

thanks in advance.
zeus50
hunter

Re: flocking question

Postby zeus50 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:34 am

anyone?
zeus50
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:24 am

You need to sand or flame your decoys heads before flocking. Sanding will be easiler.

Donjer, Aero outdoors or someone else that makes flocking for decoys would be a better idea. Some people sell some cheap crap on ebay.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby A-Bomb » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:02 pm

Ive had great luck with the flocking on my big foots. I cleaned them with a scrub brush and water, let them dry, sanded them and then cleaned them with alcohol and let them dry. I then used the rustoleum oil paint like you and applied the flcoking in a box with my hands with latex gloves on. I basically sprinkled it on and then patted it on with my hand to make sure it was embedded into the paint. Id just keep grabbing handfuls in the box and sprinkling it over and patting it in. Worked great for me. For increased adhesion i hear that Bulldog Adhesion promoter is a fantastic product for this. Good luck to you.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:49 am

AeroOutdoors has the best colored glues and flocking on the market . Their stuff wears like iron and looks great . A preparation tip ; The last step before applying colored glue/adhesive I spray the area with starter fluid then wipe with a clean paper towel . It evaporates quickly and removes any lingering oils /dirt from the surface.

Some decoy`s I did using AeroOutdoors flocking .
Last edited by John O`Neal on Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby imboray » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:35 am

A-Bomb wrote:Ive had great luck with the flocking on my big foots. I cleaned them with a scrub brush and water, let them dry, sanded them and then cleaned them with alcohol and let them dry. I then used the rustoleum oil paint like you and applied the flcoking in a box with my hands with latex gloves on. I basically sprinkled it on and then patted it on with my hand to make sure it was embedded into the paint. Id just keep grabbing handfuls in the box and sprinkling it over and patting it in. Worked great for me. For increased adhesion i hear that Bulldog Adhesion promoter is a fantastic product for this. Good luck to you.

I use the same steps this guy does. Be careful what type of weather you do it in as well. Humid or cool weather for some reason seem to effect the outcome. I assume it affects how the paint sets up. Also i get my flocking from www.fowlflocker.com
imboray
hunter

Postby halfscoop » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:15 am

I just purchased the $25 flocked replacement heads for my BF. Just another way of doing it since I'm not very good at painting anything.
halfscoop
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum