DSD or GHG Elites?

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

DSD or GHG Elites?

Postby chukar62 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:25 pm

OK you guys with big Canadian FB Spreads...I have both GHG and Elites in my spread...I really like the motion especially with the feeders in the GHG's. Question: Has anyone done the unthinkable and convert a DSD feeder into a motion decoy?
chukar62
Newb

Re: DSD or GHG Elites?

Postby Nick Roehl » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:33 pm

DSD are really nice decoys. If you can swing it I would start mixing some in, that should answer your question for you once you see them in the spread.
Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signature.

https://www.facebook.com/FlywayMedia
Please Like It! :-)
Nick Roehl
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:35 pm

I've a friend who runs DSDs with homemade stands that allow some slack in the leg tubing for easier rotation and also cuts about a 3" hole in the belly of the decoy around the pvc stake posts, which he then cuts shorter to all allow the decoy to wobble and rock some.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby chukar62 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:02 pm

Thanks Rick,
I just get a little nervous cutting holes in spendy dec's. If I cut the 3" hole I think I am going to put the GHG guts inside(which I kinda plan on doing) and use their motion stake. Anyone out there been brave enough to do this with their feeders?
chukar62
Newb

Postby Tealer » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:45 pm

chukar62 wrote:OK you guys with big Canadian FB Spreads...I have both GHG and Elites in my spread...I really like the motion especially with the feeders in the GHG's. Question: Has anyone done the unthinkable and convert a DSD feeder into a motion decoy?

I run a big spread of DSD's. I have never needed the motion. Not saying it wouldn't help, I just seem to do fine without it.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:57 am

chukar62 wrote:Thanks Rick,
I just get a little nervous cutting holes in spendy dec's. If I cut the 3" hole I think I am going to put the GHG guts inside(which I kinda plan on doing) and use their motion stake. Anyone out there been brave enough to do this with their feeders?

He chose not to use the GHG system because it allows too much swing. Also modified the GHGs in his big spread with a no-motion notch in their cup before GHG started doing it and never uses their wide motion notch.

Fwiw, I've not opted to modify my DSDs, and the only GHGs I own are feeders that I use very sparingly, one per several DSDs or not at all. Very much of their motion seems apt to flare our specks. Your mileage may vary...
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby chukar62 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:14 am

Yeah...always looking for the edge. I put up the DSD's next to the GHG's in my back yard to watch for the last couple of days and although the DSD's look much better to me (but I am not a goose right) the motion on the GHG looks prime!

I might custom a little more suttle motion for a few of the DSD feeders and see how it goes.

I guess hunting the white's North of the border has me motion-minded. Most days the DSD/Outlaw (for mass) spread works great on both sides of the border (don't we love it when they turn upside down coming in!!) but there are those days...
chukar62
Newb

Postby A-Bomb » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:59 pm

I think that motion is overrated. Your fooling geese for an instant, not an hour. And the motion you get from motion decoys looks nothing like goose motion. JMO, but ive never felt the need for motion in my spread. I run all big foots. Good luck with your venture and out in the field.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby redsled600 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:58 pm

I got 4 dozen GHG FFD elites. 3dozen have the motion stakes in them and i loved the motion and realistic look of them so much i bought the GHG kit and just yesterday switched out the real foots from GHG with the Motion stakes. Now with 4 dozen GHG decoys swayin in the wind i think its gonna be a huge success over stationary decoys, especially at a distance. JMO
redsled600
hunter

Postby blackened89 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:50 am

Dave Smith honkers make me drool. If I had the money I'd buy em. I mainly shoot geese over water so I don't have much for field decoys. There are 2 ideas going back in forth in my head. One thought is that people kill geese over silos and shells and what not sol all that matters is location location location. And the other idea is that you could be where they want to be but if there are live birds near by, the geese are likely going to choose the live birds over your plastics. If the dsd's are so lifelike, it should make it much easier to get the birds to come in. I've read all I can find on the dsd's vs brand x and I'm still on the fence. I'm going to be able to hunt almost everday of the early season and I have access to some nice fields this year so I want to make it the best I can. So if you were only to hunt early season geese, would you guys choose 12 DSD or 36 of the other guys????
blackened89
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:40 am

Have you seen the new GHG full bodies coming out next season, I got the chance to hunt over them this year, and they are unreal.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby blackened89 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:17 pm

SPatrick wrote:Have you seen the new GHG full bodies coming out next season, I got the chance to hunt over them this year, and they are unreal.

I haven't. Are there any pictures online anywhere??
blackened89
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:53 pm

Lots of online pics. They look good, still not up to DSD level, but for the price point they are great. Having seen the new GHG pics and hype I hope they incourage Dave to carve up some new poses. Would be awesome to have a couple more lesser poses and an aggressive honker or two.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Return to Goose Decoy Forum