Anyone using silosocks for Canadas?

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Anyone using silosocks for Canadas?

Postby goodkarmarising » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:55 am

I am looking at a way to start beefing up my canada spread and wondering if anyone is using the flocked silosocks for canada spreads. Also, what about speck silosocks? About to the point to where I need to get a trailer if I want to add the typical full bodies and shells for putting out a really big spread of canadas. I use northinds for my snow goose spread for the numbers and looking at ways to add numbers without pulling a trailer.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Re: Anyone using silosocks for Canadas?

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:45 am

a buddy has some we used a few times here in central MO and we usually leave them at home. they just haven't done anything for use.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby cam liden » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:33 pm

i was gonna ask the same thing for texas rag canadas. I bought fifty canada rags on sale for $5 a couple months ago, just cuz it was such a good price. I havent used them yet, not sure if they would flare canadas.
cam liden
hunter

Postby manitobawoj » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:33 pm

I use canada sillosocks every time I hunt lessers in a good wind. I have learned that with zero to little wind the old rule aplies, " less is more" so I stick with my ffd's alone.
manitobawoj
hunter

Postby SQUAWKnemi » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:53 pm

my one buddy owns 2 dozen when he gets out alone he uses just them. Early season and early on in our split he does well. Bagged out over just them twice (3 birds) and hit solos three other times this year. All in all he hits geese more times than not early in the season with them. Come later in the season i dont know how effective they would be alone but by than we have all our fbs out and well throw them out mixed in just to add some movement a few more deeks.
Some QUack And We Kill
SQUAWKnemi
hunter

Postby jimmyash » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:30 pm

Joe,
Ive been wondering the same thing. It seems some people have success. Look at the 3rd page of the 2010/2011 picture thread in the KS forum. They are the 2d sillhouettes but seemed to work pretty well for them. There isnt much for success stories about them on the internet.
jimmyash
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:34 pm

I might just have to make the plunge and get 2 to 4 dozen of them. I'm getting to the point where I have to start seriously getting a trailer if I want to beef my spread up.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:25 am

I've hunted over a few dozen on a couple different occasions now, and while we did shoot some birds, I can't stand the death rattle when it gets windy. Deadly's might be another option worth looking at too; a little more spendy though.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby don novicki » Tue May 15, 2012 8:02 am

I bought a couple dozen Dealdy Canada's last year to take with me to NoDak and hunt around home here with them also. I use primarily silys but mixed in a 16 or so of the Deadly's last year on a couple of hunts and frankly I think I used too many . I thought that there was too much movement with all the Deadly's out there, but then again it could have just been a spacing issue. It's just my opinion but this coming season I'm going to limit their use to maybe 8-10 decoys in with the rest of the spread. I do think that the right amount of Deadly's out there will do the job and close the birds all the way in. So that is something I am going to try this year and see how it goes...........They are a nice decoy though!
don novicki
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum