Is this enough?

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Is this enough?

Postby MossyMallard12 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:06 pm

I have 18 shells and 24 floaters that can be used for fields 42 overall is that enough? If I use them all.
Chillin', Killin', Grillin'!
MossyMallard12
hunter

Re: Is this enough?

Postby CLAYBREAKER22701 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:55 pm

IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU HUNT. Long story short that would be overkill for some of my spots and barely enough for others. It all comes down to how many are around, what they are used to seeing etc etc. I know this isnt alot of help but I am sure what you have is more than enough and probably more than most/average hunters use. There will be the bigshot tough guy come in here and laugh at you saying you have nothing compared to him. All in all you have a pretty decent setup if hunting over/ on water.
CLAYBREAKER22701
hunter

Location: North of Richmond - South of DC-West of 95 - East of the Mountains.

Postby SQUAWKnemi » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:54 pm

I agree itll depend on the birds in the area. early season 4 deeks per hunter can do a guy good here in pa but come late season guys will hunt over 200-300 deeks... we just use about 70 tht time of the year because thats all we have and well still get looks. Like claybreaker said thats a pretty good water set up. on water il maybe use 6 floaters and a dozen fbs but i dont hunt water much so i dont spend much on floaters. Theres only one way to find out go give it a try when my group first started we had 25 silhouettes and two dozen shells and we got looks.. not great ones.. but they were looks.
Some QUack And We Kill
SQUAWKnemi
hunter

Postby MossyMallard12 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:37 pm

Well the only place I have is public it's all water and a alfalfa feild
MossyMallard12
hunter

Postby SQUAWKnemi » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:28 pm

Give it a try if you can set up on a shore get your floaters on the water and shells on the shore.. make sure ur concealed tho that is rule numero uno :thumbsup:
Some QUack And We Kill
SQUAWKnemi
hunter

Postby BGipson » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:02 pm

and flag like hell! you gotta get their attention first and foremost!
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby MossyMallard12 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:32 am

I wonder if those Jackkites work?
MossyMallard12
hunter

Postby Storm » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:23 pm

Don't waste your time with the jackkites. A flag is the best motion someone can have in the field.
Storm
hunter

Postby BGipson » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:26 pm

They only work in really consistent wind, it can't be gusty and as was said don't waste your time, just flag. I'd trade 3/4 of a spread if that is what it took to be able to have a flag along.
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby luie b » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:34 pm

I hunted fields with 12 all season this year and later in the year having more would have definitely helped me get birds interested. The one thing that makes a lot more of a difference is a flag. Flagging gets there attention more than anything. Heck, we decoyed a flock of geese once this year into 80 yards with only a flag. We were just messin around but they came in until they noticed there were no geese on the ground :biggrin:
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:16 pm

BGipson wrote:and flag like hell! you gotta get their attention first and foremost!

I havent had many birds come to flagging. I've tried very little, lots, and every amount in between and almost zero success flagging.

but on a side note, I've killed birds over no decoys all the way up to 10 doz, but I have my best luck using about 2-3doz goose decoys.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby duckdozer » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:52 pm

:lol: This guy /\ also hunts every weekend, :clapping: you should really pay attn to what he says. Flagging and your hide are 2 important things in goose hunting, also being on the x is a good thing as well.

in order of importance for hunting canada geese.

1. Scouting---sont get locked into one area or field
2. HIDE---if you think that you are hid you better add some more, fill'em all to kill'em all
3. Flagging---Know when and how much
4. Decoy motion--- it doesnt matter how many decoys you have out if they are not moving and looking like real geese, all it takes is one bird to see whats up and bug out and start a feed in the field next to you and then you are screwed.
5. Calling----The best caller in the world couldnt get geese to finish if someone is up and out of their blind moving around, same goes for if there arent any birds in the area.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby noweil » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:16 pm

I have killed geese over 2 decoys in the field with little to no calling on a NWR public hunting area at the end of a 90 day season. I normally use a small spread of maybe up to a dozen decoys in the field, split into a group of maybe 5 and 7. On the water the past seasons we killed geese from September till January with 4 floaters. Sometimes we put out a couple more. The most important thing is always location, but don't be afraid of small spreads.
Attachments
2011-11-27 09.42.41.jpg
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby BEDB » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:42 pm

As far as covering up goes geese have eight times better vision then humans and spend half their day cleaning themselves. Keep your decoys clean and your buddies invisible.
Flocked Wear Field Staff
Bring 'em Down Boys Pro Staff
lock 'em n rock 'em
BEDB
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum