Storing decoys in a attic for summer

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Storing decoys in a attic for summer

Postby sodfather » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:07 pm

Hey all do you think its ok to store decoys in a garage attic for summer. It does get hot up there in the warm months. Thanks for the replies.
sodfather
hunter

Re: Storing decoys in a attic for summer

Postby noweil » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:59 pm

Don't you think it would make more sense to store decoys in a cool place?
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby SQUAWKnemi » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:31 pm

I dont know if temp plays an issue at all... But my house has a garage with the rafters exposed we just strap the deek bags to the rafter, tighten them, and let it hang. I havent had an issue with bags stretching or anything and the temp isn't an issue since its only as hot in the garage as it is outside. As for the other gear it goes up top... I really don't care about my shells.
Some QUack And We Kill
SQUAWKnemi
hunter

Postby moknducks » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:18 pm

i stored mine in a shed all summer (plastic dekes ) and never had an issue but it also sits under a large maple tree in the shade. I think if your garage attic isnt ventilated, whether it is all open, or vented good, then you might if you store lots of them in a bag or on top of each other. I am not saying it will but if its tightly closed in it may soften the plastic enough to cause dents that wont come out once it cools back down and hardens that way. It would have to get really hot before that would happen and you would have to have many of them piled on top of each other and jammed tight in a bag. If you leave them out of the bag and spread out some i dont see you having any problems. If your doing it like Squaw did in a open rafted garage then you shouldnt have any problems. It would have to get extremely hot with no air to it in order for it to soften.
moknducks
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:08 am

never had a problem, if they can't handle the heat i'd buy a brand that could.
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:58 pm

I live in Texas and keep mine on the garage floor. Leaving decoys in the attic would be a death wish. Temps last summer got to 110 at times.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Return to Goose Decoy Forum