REAL Geese Decoys

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

REAL Geese Decoys

Postby luie b » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:07 pm

Saw these at a Basspro over the weekend and had always heard of them but I never really relized how light they were! And not real expensive for a dozen either. So I figured since I'm buying another box of shells to my box already, with the real geese will give me 3 dozen decoys. I figure since this year I still could sometimes turn geese my way from a ways away, now that I'm better at calling, will have a layout blind and 3x as many decoys I should do better. My question about the real geese is what are the stakes made of and how do you guys use them when your fields are frozen? How well does the paint hold up and does it glare?
luie b
hunter

Re: REAL Geese Decoys

Postby FlockKnocker » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:27 pm

the stake is made of wood and doesnt shine at all. they make a thing you punch holes in frozen ground but a pointed metal pipe works
FlockKnocker
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:12 am

I just got a 2 dz Big Al's silos for about $80 dz and he uses a steel H stakes and it is easy to push in the ground and the decoy doesn't spin in the wind. The lessors are smaller and maybe $10 cheaper
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:51 pm

luie b wrote: My question about the real geese is what are the stakes made of

Wood
luie b wrote: and how do you guys use them when your fields are frozen?

I use my dewalt drill and an auger bit for my 5 dozen. Some guys use stake punches either from Real Geese or homemade.
Some guys use y boards.
luie b wrote: How well does the paint hold up and does it glare?
They aren't "painted" more of a printed decoy. Depending on the decoy model (mag lite, pro series 1, pro series 2) they can shine on both sides, one side, or not really at all. The pro series 1's have fabric on one side, the pro series 2's have fabric on both sides. Nice thing about the sillos is when they start to fade a little, just flock the heads and tails.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby islandgoose » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:47 pm

The real geese maglites are great on cloudy and snowy days. If you use them on sunny days or semi cloudy days they SHINE or GLARE!!!!! NO IFS ANDS OR BUTS. I have had early mornings when the sky is cloudy and the geese come right into my rig . About 9:30 the clouds break the sun pops out a little and the geese won't finish or flare. I pick the maglites up and the geese finish . My silos had flocked heads and tails too. I finally couldn't take it anymore and flocked the whole maglite on each side . No problem now. Heavily hunted geese in my area will not finish on a glaring decoy. It took me almost 1 year to figure this out. I have 3 dozen of the pro 2s that I just got but haven't really used them to make a statment about them. Molt gear has a great dvd on shine and glare and( Scott Threnien 's Goose Society) for $20.00 and will save you time and money and fustration.
islandgoose
hunter

Postby jwoodcock » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:46 am

I use them when the fields are frozen. I used to use a drill, but now I use the slide hole punch. It works very well. I just got sick of charging batteries.
People from the hunting industry let you down. I have no idols in this sport.
jwoodcock
hunter

Postby Erie » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:49 pm

I bought 9 dozen and I have been flocking the heads and tails. All of mine are pro series II despite the specks.

The one on the left has the barbs flocked and is showing the non reflective side of the decoy. The one on the right is not flocked and is showing the side that has no reflective combatant at all.
One of these is not like the other
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum