Lessers vs. Standard Decoys

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Lessers vs. Standard Decoys

Postby WI River Widow Maker » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:04 pm

Anyone use lessers?

I am trying to make a decision.... I've already committed to buying GHG, but not sure if I should buy the Standard Pro-Grade Harvester Pack or the Lesser Pro-Grade Harvester Pack. I hunt where there are no lesser canadas, but there are two reasons I was thinking about getting them.....
Right now the lessers are on sale for $119 and the standard are $149, so price difference is the first reason. The second thing is the area I am using them. These are not going to be used on a field but rather on the water, and their size would be more convenient for travel in a boat. I'm told they are 25% smaller then the standard decoys.

What I would like to know, is this going to make a difference with the greater canadas I hunt? Will they be reluctant to come in? Anyone hunt greaters over lesser decoys? I do call and am proficient at it, so I can convince them I sound like a greater.

I appreciate and input you have. Thanks! :beer:
WI River Widow Maker
hunter

Re: Lessers vs. Standard Decoys

Postby TomKat » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:12 pm

I hunted with Jarbo03 for geese this year. He uses lessers, and we really dont have them in our area...and he has killed a lot of geese!

I thought they looked good and were a lot easier to carry and set up. I have some bigfoots, would love to trade out for lessers.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby fultz_danNWPA » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:02 pm

I have lessers ffds and I love them. When your hunting out of a boat, or have to carry everything into a field.
Go with the lessers. They are much lighter and that is worth the size you loose. IMO
They are the only thing I will buy.
Plus if your buddies have standards it looks like family groups with the lessers being young geese.
fultz_danNWPA
hunter

Postby Teddy Sherwood » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:59 pm

You will be ok with the lessers I use about 5 dozen FFDs over on the west side since I hunt primarily lesser and cackler geese but when we do get the big geese in I have no problem finishing them over lessers
Teddy Sherwood
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:43 am

In any given flock there are geese of all different sizes... many are young of the years. The variation in size of decoys in a spread shouldn't make any difference.....
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby GCox25 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:11 am

I don't think it matters in the least. We run big geese and lessers in our spread, appriximately half and half and the birds finish just as good over each size.

When I first started hunting, my buddy had some shells that are super magnums, G & H's. Those things are huge and we killed birds over them as well.

I've heard something about geese and their lack of depth perception that makes the size of the decoy not as important as with ducks. My specks are Bigfoots and my buddy was worried about the humongous orange feet and my reply was, "you don't mind hunting over those 5 foot shell decoys, but you're worried about the big orange feet?" If they get close enough to tell how big the feet are, take em!
GCox25
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum