Avain X Feeders

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Avain X Feeders

Postby goosecaller » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:52 am

I am thinking about picking up some avain x feeders. I know that many people are complaining about these decoys and the issues that come with them, but people complain about every decoy company out there. My question is with the feeders only. Do they have the issues with heads falling off like the lookers do? I have held the decoys and kow that the head attachment is not the greatest, but I am sure some of you have used them and have figured out the best way to keep them on. Any tips, what has worked and what hasn't? What is your overall opinion about these decoys from those that have gone through a season with them? Thanks guys.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Re: Avain X Feeders

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:40 am

Even the manufacturer recomends gluing the heads.. That should tell you something. If you hurry Cabelas has them on closeout for $99/6.....
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:23 pm

Has anyone used these for a season and have an opinion on them?
goosecaller
hunter

Postby MNfowler12 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:08 pm

I only got to use mine for a couple of hunts during the end of the season and all I can say is they look amazing in the field
MNfowler12
hunter

Postby imboray » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:42 am

You should read the customer reviews on Cabelas site before ya buy. They arnt very good
imboray
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:12 am

Word is that these were rushed into production and as a result have some issues. I have a rule I follow... NEVER EVER buy the first year production of anything. Generally it is a disapointment. After a year or two most companies are able to work out the bugs. The problem is by that time they start with a whole new product again. Thats probably why bigfoot has endured. They have a quality product that works and have not sacraficed that quality to TRY to reach some unrealistic goal of perfection.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:39 pm

Dakotashooter, I agree with your statement about the bigfoots. I hunt over 7 dozen of them. Old ones look as good as teh new. But for 200 a dozen of these avian feeders, I thought I would give them a shot. word is the plastic is very similar and you can throw these around like the bigfoots. I think I will just run a few screws through the heads to attach them to the bases. That should keep them on. For the price, I will give em a shot.
goosecaller
hunter

Postby weukolar » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:50 pm

Dont know what you mean about plastic being the same but paint sure isnt. Have seen them
Chip just like red head decoys etc. i wouldnt buy them if you dont bag them. If you baby them they should last awhile. I have two dozen hard cores that the paint would chip off like a flaky breakfast biscuit, but they are on their 3rd year with barely any chips because i bag them stomach to stomach and be careful.
weukolar
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:25 am

No way am I going to baby these things. They are going to get thrown in the trailer like the rest of the decoys. I will try them for a year and see how they do. I got a dozen for $200. Pretty good price for decoys these days. Time will tell. Going to run screws through the heads to attach them and throw them in the trailer. We'll see.
goosecaller
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:25 pm

So far in the yard they look good. Similar plastic to the bigfoots. Great realism. For the money I paid you can't beat the realism. Paint doesn't seem to be an issue, but they have not been thrown in the trailer or hunted. As for the cons, the heads are heavy and make the decoy lean forward. Going to need to get them on flat ground. Not a ton of motion and it is really windy right now. I don't think they are going to move a ton. So far I like them for the price, but there should be some modifications made. They could be a lot better. They will help kill geese though.
goosecaller
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:06 am

I have read some comments that the flocked ones hold up better than the painted ones which leaves me to belive the plastic used might be better suited for the adhesives they use for the flocking than for paint. Time will tell. I guess even if they get a bit beat up a guy can put them on the back of the spread where it won't be seen untill it's to late.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby goosewhisperer » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:20 am

I used the AXP this past season, and although they look amazing in the field, the paint didn't hold up very well. I tried bagging them and just throwing them in the bed of the truck. And to be honest I had better luck just throwing them in the truck.
Molt Gear Society Staff
Anatidae Wingshooting Adventures, LLC Pro-Staff
goosewhisperer
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:42 pm

little brother just got some for $106 shipped from cabela's and for that price they are compareable to GHG, Hardcore, dakota, final approach, and big foot IMO

more durable than final approach and about the same paint wise as GHG, but I think they look a whole lot better than everything out there other than dakotas and DSD's. no complaints yet as its not season but the paint held up to my "fingernail" test quite well.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Return to Goose Decoy Forum