Flocking decoys

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Flocking decoys

Postby wvugunner92 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:44 pm

Im sure this belongs on a different catagory but I figured I would get some good feedback here. Basicly for the past 5 or 6 years I have been flocking my own goose decoys and I am now at the point where I could use a little help. After every season i put in hours and hours of time into flocking and when I am done, im impressed and all the heads look great, but then i look at some of my newer decoys that came with electrostaicly flocked heads from the factory and they have held up without me needing to but in the annual work. I buy my flock from cabelas (maybe not the best but it seems to look good,) but i know my problem is is in the glue which i also buy from cabelas which is supposed to be designed just for what im doing. About half way through the season the flocking start to fall right off and it is obvious the elements are getting to the glue. After doing so research all these flocking glues seem to be Water based which really makes no sence. I know if i had a trailer they would hold up better but the bottom line is i dont so the decoys stay only semi protected in the bottom of the pit. Does ANYone have a solution. Is their any glue or method besides what i am doing that could improve the life of my flocking efforts?

Thanks in advance! :beer:
Lock em nd Drop em
wvugunner92
hunter

Re: Flocking decoys

Postby WI River Widow Maker » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:30 pm

I was looking into epoxy. Most epoxys with stand most elements, heat, and liquid once dry. More expensive, but I'm in the same predicament with a few older shells I have. brushing a very thin layer would be all you need to do...
:beer:
WI River Widow Maker
hunter

Postby klee7013 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:51 pm

i used rustoleoum oil based paint and brushed it on then pushed the flocking on. this was after we sanded where we wanted it, washed it with dawn soap, and wiped clean. then apply paint
klee7013
hunter

Postby wvugunner92 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:51 pm

klee7013 wrote:i used rustoleoum oil based paint and brushed it on then pushed the flocking on. this was after we sanded where we wanted it, washed it with dawn soap, and wiped clean. then apply paint

I have heard about rustoleoum on heads but how long does it keep the flocking on? The only positive thing about the glue i am using is at the end of the year i can just power wash the heads and start over. Does the oil based paint hold the flocking well?

Thanks guys for your help though :beer:
Lock em nd Drop em
wvugunner92
hunter

Postby klee7013 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:00 pm

ill post some pics up tomorrow of some mallards with flocked heads, the brown of the chest flocked, and black and white of the tail.

we put them out in October and picked up in Feb this year. in very hard water. we where dry and had to pump with the well and the well pumps up orange crud.

IMO they help up very well.
had to scrub to get some of that orange off and the flocking is still there with a hint of the orange but its at the waterline so im not concerned
klee7013
hunter

Re:

Postby michal89 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:14 am

Wow nice one post keep it up.!
michal89
Newb

Postby wvugunner92 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:24 pm

Well, i got relocated by the police :lol3

klee7013 did you come up with any pictures?
Lock em nd Drop em
wvugunner92
hunter

Postby klee7013 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:20 am

Ya sorry all i have been thinking about is turkey hunting tomorrow.

some we did with the lack mohawk on the head some all green. i wish i got it in between o well still worked alright last season. only part we didnt do was the blue wing patch and the grey body color as seen in the pics

the bigger decoy with part of the leg on it was left out from late october to first week of feb. and over half of that was less than 20 yards from the pump where it was pumping very high iron water.

the other one was put out around NOV away from it and left out till Feb also

Here is what it looked like last spring
klee7013
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:06 pm

any latex based glue is going to degrade in sunlight over time. Decoys left out all season will suffer the most. We've had people send us decoys to fix that literally had all the flocking and most of the paint fall off, we could peel the latex based flocking off in sheets. To get good adhesion, you have to get all of the paint and flocking off that you can and sand the surface, use an oil based enamel glue like rustoleum and only use nylon flocking. These are fully flocked tanglefree decoys, black flocking is the most important color you can use. If your decoys get dirty, use oxyclean as a soak for a couple of minutes, then rinse them off.

woodduck31
hunter

Postby wvugunner92 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:22 pm

Thanks Guys huge help! One last question...Would oxy clean leave a a UV sheen to the heads?
Lock em nd Drop em
wvugunner92
hunter

Postby klee7013 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:51 pm

no idea. are you talking before or after you flock it? or are you talking about just straight up oxyclean on the decoy head?

i hunted with a guide and he would spray wd40 on the deeks to give a shine to em it worked pretty good but he made a mistake after spraying, rubbing his dogs head and it irritated that pups eyes but he still picked up 36 birds.
klee7013
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum