GHG decoys

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

GHG decoys

Postby newbie4 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:37 pm

I was wondering, how are the GHG Pro Grade Honker Canada Goose Decoys? Are they good quality and good size?
newbie4
hunter

Re: GHG decoys

Postby sweet talker » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:51 pm

I have some ghg hunter series and they are good size and color. i love them
sweet talker
hunter

Postby WI River Widow Maker » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:59 pm

Great decoy. I don't care what anyone says including the small handful of GHG haters.... Almost everything I've got form GHG has been great! Durability, low cost, and realism is second to none!!!! Their Pro Grade line is by far some of the best decoys out there. Just bought two harvester packs of the FB geese since they were on sale dirt cheap. Since Christmas I spent a little over $750 (3-4 dozen) of GHG duck and goose decoys. Floaters, shells, and full bodies. I've never had an issue with any of there products and they all have lasted through years of abuse. Get em! You won't be disappointed!
:beer:
WI River Widow Maker
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:02 am

Work just fine; I used to run 4 dozen of them and beat the snot out of them. Drywall screw through the head connection is the only mod I did.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby newbie4 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:50 am

Yea i think i am going to go with them. Thanks for the replys!
newbie4
hunter

Postby justinduckman7 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:39 pm

Awesome decoy I use a dozen over sized floaters and three dozen life size floaters and three dozen life size and pro grade full bodies. Good decoys very real looking . O and I also use a dozen and a half sleeper and rester shells when the ice is on the water
(IF IT FLIES IT DIES AND IF IT SITS THEIR IT STILL DIES ) Let's go shoot their faces off
justinduckman7
hunter

Postby newbie4 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:44 pm

I got the Pro Grades and really like them so i think i am going to get another half dozen, is there a big difference between the lessers and the life sized? the lessers are 110 which is 25 dollars cheaper than the life size
newbie4
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:20 pm

newbie4 wrote:I got the Pro Grades and really like them so i think i am going to get another half dozen, is there a big difference between the lessers and the life sized? the lessers are 110 which is 25 dollars cheaper than the life size

the lessors are smaller, but geese dont seem to react to size. the lessors dont have the high head looker like the progrades do
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby newbie4 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:48 pm

yea i got a harvester pack of the standard sized progrades and really like the size. If i got a 6 pack of lessor feeders would i be fine going that way?
newbie4
hunter

Postby 23yearsago » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:54 am

Ran one harvester pack of each, pgs and lessers, last season with good result. Depending on the mood of the geese/and/or set up they may not always finish into a dozen bodies...but usually gets 'em close enough to make it interesting. :hammer:
Nice decoys for the $.
23yearsago
hunter

Postby newbie4 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:10 am

Yea last year I had only a dozen shells and that rarely worked out in my favor so i figured a dozen full bodies would help out some
newbie4
hunter

Postby WI River Widow Maker » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:55 am

newbie4 wrote:yea i got a harvester pack of the standard sized progrades and really like the size. If i got a 6 pack of lessor feeders would i be fine going that way?

Buy the lessers! You will save $40, they look just as great, and the geese don't seem to mind at all. Plus, the lessers only look like juvenile geese so those mixed with the standards make them look like family groups. Very natural. But even if you had all lessers, you will still get the greater sub-species to finish in them. The part I like the most other then the cost, is you can use a 12-slot mallard full body bag for them. take up a lot less room, but don't appear to be all that much smaller!
WI River Widow Maker
hunter

Postby newbie4 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:19 pm

oh thats nice if the lessers fit in the duck full body bags. Is a dozen full bodies and a dozen shells enough to kill geese or would a person be better off getting more?
newbie4
hunter

Postby WI River Widow Maker » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:21 pm

newbie4 wrote:oh thats nice if the lessers fit in the duck full body bags. Is a dozen full bodies and a dozen shells enough to kill geese or would a person be better off getting more?

Depends on the spot and the birds. Will you be able to kill birds..... Absolutely. I remember hunting with a 1 1/2 dozen and still killed birds, but there were times i wish I had more. Would have smoked a lot more powder on a few trips.
In my experience, the best "all-around" field spread is 2 dozen shells and 1 1/2 dozen full bodies. Remember this is just what has worked for me. But in some areas that is too little and sometimes too much. One thing to take into consideration that has helped me.....
When scouting, pay attention to how many birds are using the field, and how many seperate groups. I hunted fields that had one group of 30 birds using it. I putt out decoys and I wished I would have just camo-ed up and sat on the X. The group came over the horizon early in the morning, set wings, saw my decs, and picked right up and turned around. Busted hunt! Why? It was one group using the field, they never saw another group their before. It didn't look right to them.
When you have a lot of geese and several groups using a field, things get easier and more decoys are the ticket. Especially in a larger field with a much bigger X. You wan tthose birds on you, not 50 yards from you.
WI River Widow Maker
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum