Speck dekes and flocking

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Speck dekes and flocking

Postby Charlie F » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:31 pm

I've been thinking about trying to flock my speck dekes and searches only produce head flocking kits. How much would flocking just the heads improve my spread? I feel like the whole body should be flocked to make a difference. Has anyone fully flocked their speck dekes? If so, how do you get the color right? Lastly, should I just buy the fully flocked?
Charlie F
Newb

Re: Speck dekes and flocking

Postby anatidaephobic » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:50 pm

Sounds like quite the headache to try and flock the whole bird. I have the ghg fully flocked specks and i think they look pretty good. If it were me I would try and sell them for what you can get out of them and put that money towards some that are already fully flocked.
anatidaephobic
hunter

Postby Charlie F » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:32 pm

What do you think about mixing fully flocked with decoys that are not flocked in the same spread? I have the ghg full bodies and kill birds over them. I was wondering how much better the flocked dekes work and looking for a hobby at the same time. Not that I really have the time.
Charlie F
Newb

Postby FowledReality » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:32 pm

I don't think just flocking the heads would make too much difference from no flocking at all. Sounds like a lot of work to fully flock the decoys yourself. On one of our hunts this year, we ran a mixture of flocked and non flocked specks. We put the flocked closer to the kill hole, but it didn't really matter. They would look to land anywhere. We even killed quite a few specks this year over a straight sillosock snow goose spread. I don't think specks are too particular about decoys, they just like hearing lots of calling. It can be a speck, snow, or canada goose.....just make noise!
FowledReality
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum