RePainting Goose Decoys

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

RePainting Goose Decoys

Postby luie b » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:33 pm

Yea I know it's the season for it and this question's probably asked a lot but I'm just wondering what I should do to get em looking good. I know it sounds bad but I only hunted over these for a year, but the paint just FELL off of them like crazy! They're tanglefree canada goose shells that have flocked heads, which held up ok but I think I'l leave the heads be. Anyway the paint really came off bad on the edges of the bottom and the front. I'm wondering if I should just touch up these individual areas or just put paint over the body. Should I remove the paint first or just paint over? I'm a little nervous to do it but the color of the paint on these is a little light anyway so they might be better visibility if I repaint them and make them better to hunt over. Any help or tips would be seriously appreciated. :biggrin:
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 4
Wood Ducks - 1
luie b
hunter

Re: RePainting Goose Decoys

Postby 23yearsago » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:24 am

Pretty much any re-painting of anything takes proper prep work. You may not need to remove all the bad paint, but roughing up the edges were an overlap of paint occurs should help, Scotchbrite pad should work well for this. Clean the area well with alcohol or acetone.
Good luck with your project.
23yearsago
hunter

Postby luie b » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:58 am

Yea, I'm gonna try it on one of my decoys first just to see if I like it or not and if I screw up too much I'll just leave it and not do anymore of them until I change my game plan.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 4
Wood Ducks - 1
luie b
hunter

Postby don novicki » Tue May 15, 2012 7:50 am

WalMart for flat black spray paint for the heads, any old latex exterior house paint in your preferred shade of white for cheek and butt,breast is a close shade of spray paint from Lowes, gloss black nailpolish for the eyes. I have 25 y/o shells that I repaint every single year, and when Im done they look new again. Have maybe 10.00 worth of material cost and I'm good to go. Killed a lot of geese over em over the years.......... :thumbsup:
don novicki
hunter

Postby Joel » Mon May 21, 2012 12:45 pm

Post pic's
make sure you scrach my Cooder, tickle my Cricket and feed Jake <thats my pups>
Joel
hunter

Postby Duck_Hunter12 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:42 pm

if you do repaint, use bulldog adhesion promotor, prime then paint. i wouldn't use house latex paint, if you really want to get after it, get an airbrush. if you have a napa by you they can color match the colors you want and put them in a rattle can with flatteners.
Duck_Hunter12
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:22 pm

i use camo brown and tan spray paint, remove or cover heads and spray tan from back to front at low angle then spray brown front to back at same low angle. i do mine once every 2 years and works fine. you can tweak how light or dark you want them
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, ***** sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum