Is this going to work??

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Is this going to work??

Postby Duck Collector » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:11 pm

So im broke and board and took a few metal stakes and trash bags and tied them like a sillo sock and painted the back x with some spray paint...does anyone think this is going to work? :rolleyes:
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Re: Is this going to work??

Postby tornadochaser » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:25 pm

Sounds like you just made some Texas rags.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:53 pm

Well guess i just saved a few birthday bucks next month :grooving:
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:37 pm

Could you post a pic? I may do this for next season.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:34 pm

Sorry, their all at my dads house with the boat. But i just got some fiberglass rods and tied hefty trash bags to thd rods with about a 10" opening. Im working on getting 100 pairs of tivek off ebay, their only 65 bucks for 100 pairs or 200 sleeves. I think their going to work better.
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:08 pm

Cool. Do you know if there's a way to do this but make Canada's instead of snows?
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby IowaWaterfowler10 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:20 pm

Dont make them for canadas. They dont like them very much. Best luck there is to buy a few dozen fb's and go to work. Also please do post pics when you get the chance. Trying to buff up a young snow spread.
IowaWaterfowler10
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:36 pm

The actual bag is pretty square shaped in the back but im not sure how i can make the cone in the back...any advice? Staples, duck tape, super glue?
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:18 pm

Ok so i just bought the stakes...their a metal dowell rod encased in plastic. I also got some heafty kitchen trash bags and some duct tape. I am going to grab each corner and tape them together for the cone shape in the back of the bird for the decoy to look somewhat realistic. Im going to start later when i get home and try to get a pic before it gets too dark to get one.
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby BGipson » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:52 pm

shootable Goose wrote:Cool. Do you know if there's a way to do this but make Canada's instead of snows?

Don't waste your time trying it cuz canadas won't go near em. If you wanna go on the cheap them make some 3D silos like I have in the background of my pic. They are just thin plywood with a slot cut in em and a crosspiece that is plywood also. They have metal pretty heavy duty metal stake but I got em free from a friend so I wasn't complainin.

Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:18 pm

BGipson wrote:
shootable Goose wrote:Cool. Do you know if there's a way to do this but make Canada's instead of snows?

Don't waste your time trying it cuz canadas won't go near em. If you wanna go on the cheap them make some 3D silos like I have in the background of my pic. They are just thin plywood with a slot cut in em and a crosspiece that is plywood also. They have metal pretty heavy duty metal stake but I got em free from a friend so I wasn't complainin.

Cool I might have to try that. I'm just looking for a cheap way to fill out my spread.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby BGipson » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:21 pm

Those birds are every bird from every flock that worked that morning between 3 shooters. Not a single bird escaped because they worked in that nicely. I've come to find that fancy goose decoys are more to decoy hunters than geese in most cases :lol:
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:23 pm

well...got a mini spread up and going. Finished the stuff i bought today, cleaned out lowes on all the the stakes they had i could use. managed to get 32 socks out of it, and for the most part they look really good. got the pics but now got to go back tomarrow to use laptop to post them.
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby noweil » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:23 pm

BGipson wrote:Those birds are every bird from every flock that worked that morning between 3 shooters. Not a single bird escaped because they worked in that nicely. I've come to find that fancy goose decoys are more to decoy hunters than geese in most cases :lol:

Shhhh!
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby noweil » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:17 am

BGipson,
Can you post up some more photos or details on your 3D Silhouettes. Neat idea.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby BGipson » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:07 pm

I don't have them where I'm living right now so I'll sort through some pics and find the best I can for ya.

Here's an upright

And a feeder

And the crosspiece I'm talkin about that makes them "3D"

You can tweak the colors however you like but that gives you a general idea of shape and proportion. Like I said before the stakes are 1" metal straps so pretty dang heavy but they were given to me so I can't complain. I like that I can put 50 in a rubbermaid tote and the crosspieces in a small duffel and pack them to a field in 1 trip with a friend helping.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby noweil » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:13 pm

BGipson,
Thanks for posting the pictures. I been using some homemade silos since 1988. They were my first field decoys. I always thought a 3D look would be great. Thanks so much for sharing.
noweil
hunter

Postby wvugunner92 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:15 pm

BGipson wrote:Those birds are every bird from every flock that worked that morning between 3 shooters. Not a single bird escaped because they worked in that nicely. I've come to find that fancy goose decoys are more to decoy hunters than geese in most cases :lol:

I think it more has to do with where your hunting to be fair. It might not matter too much on less hunted birds, but where there is more shooting, there are smarter birds. Here on eastern shore MD, the geese have seen so many spreads of decoys. If you dont want to run 300 decoys, ultra realisim is your only chance. Example- stuffers
Lock em nd Drop em
wvugunner92
hunter

Postby BGipson » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:22 pm

I've never hunted the east coast so I have no idea how it is out there. I've found that having a totally different look than everyone else works for me though.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:19 pm

wvugunner92 wrote:

I think it more has to do with where your hunting to be fair. It might not matter too much on less hunted birds, but where there is more shooting, there are smarter birds. Here on eastern shore MD, the geese have seen so many spreads of decoys. If you dont want to run 300 decoys, ultra realisim is your only chance. Example- stuffers

Thats odd, I live south of you and have been killing geese over silos for over 20 years. Guess they didnt see your spread. :lol3:
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Is this going to work??

Postby Duck Collector » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:04 pm

Sorry it took so long...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352408554.825338.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352408575.038158.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352408603.763200.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352408628.283061.jpg
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:21 pm

What I can't figure out is why unpressured birds up here won't even look a cheap stuuf like that but dive right into them down in Texas after being shot at all the way down. :huh:
dakotashooter2
hunter

Re: Re: Is this going to work??

Postby cuppedandkilled » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:06 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:What I can't figure out is why unpressured birds up here won't even look a cheap stuuf like that but dive right into them down in Texas after being shot at all the way down. :huh:

Food choice is a lot less sparse down there. A lot of grain/corn fields to pick from up here but not so much down there.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
cuppedandkilled
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum