Need help with Greylag and Canada setup!

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Need help with Greylag and Canada setup!

Postby vegardar » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:08 pm

Hi.
As goose-season here starts getting closer I have a few questions and was hoping some could help me out with. I usually hunt geese both in fields and around the coastline. The geese I hunt are migrators, heading for warmer climate. This being said, the geese often appear in large groups flying in hight altitudes. As you may understand, I´m a pretty new, un-experienced goose-hunter, but I know that you will need a lot of geese decoys, flags and calls to get them within shooting range.

My question is this; I currently have 12 greylag shells, goose calls and flags. Do you think it would benefit me to make some windsocks or silhouettes, or would I risk "damaging" for the shells?

Thanks!
Attachments
Skjermbilde 2012-04-24 kl. 00.07.40.png
Greylag shells
vegardar
hunter

Re: Need help with Greylag and Canada setup!

Postby noweil » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:01 pm

Vegardar,
Where are you located. I have hunted Canada Geese over a dozen one piece shells successfully. With one piece shells I like to use them with the T-stakes they come with. They work in both shallow water and the field. Hunting migrators could be difficult. Flight birds are not usually what we consider working birds. We have had a few rare days where flights of birds dropped from a high altitude and into the decoys. If you are looking to make more decoys, here is a link to a thread on this forum where BGipson posted pictures of some 3D silhouettes he made: viewtopic.php?f=76&t=186549

The most important thing in waterfowl hunting is location. Be where the birds want to be.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Re: Need help with Greylag and Canada setup!

Postby vegardar » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:56 pm

noweil wrote:Vegardar,
Where are you located. I have hunted Canada Geese over a dozen one piece shells successfully. With one piece shells I like to use them with the T-stakes they come with. They work in both shallow water and the field. Hunting migrators could be difficult. Flight birds are not usually what we consider working birds. We have had a few rare days where flights of birds dropped from a high altitude and into the decoys. If you are looking to make more decoys, here is a link to a thread on this forum where BGipson posted pictures of some 3D silhouettes he made: viewtopic.php?f=76&t=186549

The most important thing in waterfowl hunting is location. Be where the birds want to be.

Thanks for your respond!

I´m from Norway so I usually hunt throughout the cold coastline of the North Sea. During the summer, the geese are all over, and at this time it would work great to hunt them as "working birds". The only problem is that the hunt doesn't start until September, and at that time the geese are moving south. Either way I´m going to give it a go and see. Worst case, we have to sneak up on them, resting in the water.. ;)

The 3D silos looked great, think I might give that a go! ;) Probably make them looking like greylags though, Honkers are a pretty rare sight compared to them.. :P
vegardar
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum