New to goose hunting/need experianced advice

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

New to goose hunting/need experianced advice

Postby cawaterfowlslayer » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:17 pm

Hey guys I am new to goose hunting and wanted to see if I could get some insight from some more experienced guys. I have hunted for all waterfowl but where I am in California hunting the marshes we don’t get to many chances at geese. But at the end of this past season hunt I harvested my first goose which was a lesser snow goose and was banded :thumbsup: . I ended up finishing the hunt with six ducks, 5 lesser snow geese and one blue goose. Because we hunt the marshes I am limited to only floater dekes and being on the pacific fly way we see mostly Snows, Canada’s, and Specs. I don’t know if there is one species that other species of geese will still land in or if one is better all around. I just thought that even just having a couple dekes out their would help convice them to come in the 30 extra yards because right now for the most part I call they fly over but when they dont see any geese they become suspicious. Also if anyone knows of any deals were their is a range of species in like half a dozen.Thanks guys anything is appreciated
It Flys it Dies
cawaterfowlslayer
hunter

Re: New to goose hunting/need experianced advice

Postby BGipson » Wed May 02, 2012 6:32 pm

I'd get either a half dozen snows or specks and get a speck call. They are the most social of the geese and will come in to a LOT of noise typically
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:49 pm

Might get a few more answers, tips and advice over on www.goosehuntingchat.com. Just a place to keep in mind if you don't get the answers you need here.

I would offer advice...but i'm still learning goose hunting myself as well after a 12 year break.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby duckdozer » Wed May 02, 2012 7:19 pm

I will tell you from my experience that big canadas dislike snows while the smaller subspecies of canada geese dont mind them, specks will work with either, just a call will do wonders with them.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby cawaterfowlslayer » Wed May 02, 2012 10:50 pm

Thanks guys, I do have a Spek call and that is how i managed to get the snows this past season. And thanks for the tips on the spec dekes over others. I will probly check out the www.Goosehuntingchat.com. Thanks for All the advice so far :smile:
Anyting else is appreciated
It Flys it Dies
cawaterfowlslayer
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu May 03, 2012 5:34 am

Don't know about your area, but here in Southwest Louisiana, specks are under tremendous gun pressure and adding more than a single snow or two to a speck spread in hopes of drawing them, too, is like putting up a giant "HUNTERS HERE" billboard. In the natural order of things, it's rare to see fewer than hundreds of snows on the ground, unless it's a decoy spread, and both the snows and the specks know it. Pretty sure you'll find it easier to draw what lost snows might come to a small snow spread to nothing but specks than to draw specks to any spread including more than a couple and less than a couple hundreds snows.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby cawaterfowlslayer » Fri May 04, 2012 8:31 am

Thanks guys, so it sounds like spek dekes are the way to go for most geese. Also does anyone recomend what type to get such as sleepers active feeder caller swimmer exc. for hunting the marsh
It Flys it Dies
cawaterfowlslayer
hunter

Postby BGipson » Fri May 04, 2012 4:37 pm

the 6 snows I have are a mix of supermag mallard repaints and upright canada repaints so anything will work as long as you are calling at the specks... snows are retarded and you just have to whack em on a windy day since they get skybusted constantly
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby IowaWaterfowler10 » Fri May 04, 2012 10:35 pm

Go buy yourself a couple dozen or so big foot floaters. Everyone in my family runs them and they have had them over 13 years and still look new. Im switching over from my GHG's cause im tired of replacing every 2 or 3 years because they shed paint.
IowaWaterfowler10
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum