Heavy Duty Decoy Stakes

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Heavy Duty Decoy Stakes

Postby luie b » Thu May 03, 2012 7:18 pm

I just acquired a dozen more canada goose shells that are a little older. The stakes the guy gave me with them are cheap plastic that would work ok in the early season but would be impossible to get in the ground in the "hot" times of goose season (I'm talking December/January when the hunting is good). So I want to make new stakes for these decoys. So I was thinking of making them out of some old metal electric fence posts (the short kind you use with cattle) and welding a small t-brace of some kind on the end to keep the decoy from sliding on the post. The idea of using a tougher metal stake is my idea is to carry all my gear out to the field and bring a hammer or something with me so I can pound the stakes into the frozen ground. Hopefully they'll be strong enough, or I'll be strong enough to get the stakes into the ground in the winter but hopefully your guys' experience will be able to give me any ideas of better stakes or better ways to build them.
luie b
hunter

Re: Heavy Duty Decoy Stakes

Postby Rick Hall » Thu May 03, 2012 7:36 pm

Sounds like you might have G&H shells which have plastic t type stakes. If that's the case, I used to punch holes in frozen ground for mine with tire tool.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Re: Heavy Duty Decoy Stakes

Postby randy marci » Thu May 03, 2012 7:48 pm

luie b wrote:I just acquired a dozen more canada goose shells that are a little older. The stakes the guy gave me with them are cheap plastic that would work ok in the early season but would be impossible to get in the ground in the "hot" times of goose season (I'm talking December/January when the hunting is good). So I want to make new stakes for these decoys. So I was thinking of making them out of some old metal electric fence posts (the short kind you use with cattle) and welding a small t-brace of some kind on the end to keep the decoy from sliding on the post. The idea of using a tougher metal stake is my idea is to carry all my gear out to the field and bring a hammer or something with me so I can pound the stakes into the frozen ground. Hopefully they'll be strong enough, or I'll be strong enough to get the stakes into the ground in the winter but hopefully your guys' experience will be able to give me any ideas of better stakes or better ways to build them.

in my experience, a sharpened fiberglass stake works well. no bending, and being sharpened it goes in the ground pretty easy. there is also a stake made with a titanium bi-product out there that is pretty dang strong. i have both for sale if you are interested and just like my decoys, will be glad to send you a sample of each as long as you cover shipping.
this is where all the cool kids put how many ducks they kill
randy marci
State Moderator

Return to Goose Decoy Forum