decoy setup question

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

decoy setup question

Postby atr04screw » Sun May 06, 2012 12:25 pm

Next year will only be my second year waterfowl hunting, so I need some help with how to setup my goose spread. I hunt an island on a big lake, and the island normally has over 20 residential geese on it that use the island year round. When I hunted it last year, I was able to call in a few geese, but not many because I didn't have any decoys. My question is how many decoys should I use? I am getting a dozen GHG shells and putting stakes on them to add visibility, so will this be enough or do I need more? Normally the geese are spread out around the island in pairs, and sometimes getting in groups of no larger than 3 pairs.
atr04screw
hunter

Re: decoy setup question

Postby luie b » Sun May 06, 2012 1:19 pm

A dozen will work ok in the earlier parts of the season but when it gets later in the season you'll want more. I'd think about some floaters, too. Last season was my first year waterfowl hunting, too and I only had a dozen decoys and was able to kill a few but I'd look around your area to buy some used ones or join a hunting/fishing buy and swap group on facebook because there tends to be a lot of stuff that can be had cheap.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 4
Wood Ducks - 1
luie b
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Tue May 08, 2012 9:33 pm

Ya definitely late season you will want more but I have called geese in with only 4 deeks before. Just make sure you call accordingly to your decoy numbers. :thumbsup:
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Wed May 09, 2012 10:52 am

If that small flock of resident birds are typically the only ones using the spot then I wouldnt put out too many. They get used to seeing the smaller numbers. However if more show through the year then like the other guys said, increase you number. A couple dozen either way should be plenty. Maybe get some floaters so you can have some in the water and on land. That set up always makes for a nice relaxed looking spread when combined with some shells or FB's on the shorline.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Thu May 10, 2012 8:51 am

I'd cover the whole island with decoys on a migration day. :thumbsup:
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby atr04screw » Thu May 10, 2012 4:36 pm

tornadochaser wrote:I'd cover the whole island with decoys on a migration day. :thumbsup:

I was thinking that for about mid season. During late November and early December last year I noticed alot more geese, and they were flying around all day, so I think that was when they flew threw for migration. Typically, when not migrating, I only see them flying early in the morning and late in the evening. I think I am going to use the 12 shells early season, and later on during migrations I'll see about getting some more decoys.
atr04screw
hunter

Postby BEDB » Mon May 14, 2012 10:02 am

Id definitely look in to floaters. They add a lot of motion and definitely soften up the geese a little bit on those land/water spreads
Flocked Wear Field Staff
Bring 'em Down Boys Pro Staff
lock 'em n rock 'em
BEDB
hunter

Postby noweil » Sat May 19, 2012 6:55 am

The little decoy spread I attached a picture of has killed close to 200 geese the last couple seasons. Sometimes I may go all out and use as many as 11. That's all I can get in the 10' canoe. Early season, late season, public hunting, or private. I have killed plenty of geese over just 2 full bodies in the field. Went to small spreads in 96 and it made things much simpler and have great success. If you want decoys on the island make some silhouettes. Bgipson had some pictures of his 3-D silos that were pretty innovative.
Attachments
2011-11-27 09.42.41.jpg
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum