Tanglefree shells? Any reviews on them?

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Tanglefree shells? Any reviews on them?

Postby muskrat24 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:52 am

I was looking into getting a land spread going as I hunt the water only as of right now. Anyways I seen a dozen of the standard Tanglefree Canada goose shells and was wondering if anyone has used them before. Do they hold up? Would you reccommend buying them or just going for a different shell? I had skimmed through the one thread about good quality decoys but was wondering what everyones concensus was on the Tanglefrees. I don't mind if I have to repaint after a couple seasons just as long as the plastic holds up. Thanks for your time.

Luke
muskrat24
hunter

Re: Tanglefree shells? Any reviews on them?

Postby luie b » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:54 pm

Wouldn't recommend buying them at all especially the price they expect for them. I bought some tanglefrees as my first goose decoys last season since it was midseason and I needed decoys quick so I bought them. Within a month the paint was already coming up off the bottom edge and the stakes they come with are a terrible idea for them because when it's cold it's really easy to crack the insert you put the stake in. By the end of the season my decoys were already needing a repainting but the way I think of it is that the plastic is so thin and cheap that it's not worth wasting the money in paint. So my answer is no, don't buy them. Go with something like GHG Hot Buys or something other than tanglefree.
luie b
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:26 am

Go with Higdons (originals or the new Alphas) or GHGs. You'll pay less for the Higdons and get better coloration than the GHGs, but either are better than the TF's
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:40 am

ghgs are fairly cheap at rogers right now and i like them
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby muskrat24 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:25 pm

Thank you all that have replied. I ended up just perchasing 6 GHG full bodie feeders off ebay and ran into a guy off craigslist selling some shells. Ended up with 12 lifesize and 6 magnum Convert-a-goose flambeau decoys NIB for $150. Not an awesome quality on the Flambeaus but now I wont' be afraid to mess them up. Thanks again for your help.
muskrat24
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum