Real Wings opinions

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Real Wings opinions

Postby handyandy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:59 am

Anybody ever use any of the real wings like the real wings ultralight or 360 wings there aren't to much money thinking about trying them the videos look cool that I've seen and they seem like snows would like them they always like movement. Ducks seem to love my snow socks and dive bomb so I figured I could even try them duck hunting. I'm just not sure as I have read some reviews on cabelas and some people swear by them others hate them idk what to think has anyone here tried them. I've heard the newer ultralights work a lot better than the original one. I couldn't find any threads about them so I figured I'd try starting one let me know what you guys think.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Re: Real Wings opinions

Postby randy marci » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:11 pm

My opinion, FWIW, they aren't worth the trouble. Of course that's coming from someone who bought one of the originals and fought with it on a couple hunts trying to get it to actually stay in the air. Finally gave up as when it was in the air, I saw no real difference in how the birds reacted good or bad. I believe that movement down in the spread works just as well.
this is where all the cool kids put how many ducks they kill
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby handyandy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:05 pm

thanks for the input I think I will just save my money as I probably wouldn't have a whole lot of hunts with the optimal conditions for them and have a feeling I would just get pissed at them.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:41 pm

We had ducks and juvy snows crashing into the two real wings I ran this spring. It was hilarious. The ultralights work a lot better than the originals. Storage is a pain though, they can get rendered useless pretty quick if you let something fall on them or smash them up.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby handyandy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:30 pm

But then I hear things like above and it makes me want to give them a try I guess I can get one to try there only about $25 so if it sucks at least I'm not out a ton of money although I hate to waste any money.

handyandy
hunter

Postby waubamikrider » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:28 am

I have two of these things. Scratch that, I have one. Here's the story.

I bought a Standard canada goose unit and a ultralight duck unit. I got both of them at the begining of last year.

I thought they looked awesome like you, and they do when they are up in the air, but that's the problem. I tried the goose unit several times during field hunts, and only took it out during windy days. The thing needs a crap ton of wind to stay aloft. The longest I ever seen it stay up was 10 minutes, you end up running back out into the field every ten minutes to throw the thing back up into the air. Needless to say during one of the last hunts we had I had enough and shot the crap out of it when it hit the ground seconds after putting it back up.. SO ya i blew it all to hell.

Moral of the story is, try the ultralights if your going to try them at all, I haven't even tried my duck unit because I usually hunt ducks over water and the reel wings is tough to use over water, so I use the Mojo's.

I will say when it was in the air, ducks really reacted to the goose unit, almost landed on it. It for sure catches their attention.

Just don't let if turn you into the guy jumping in and out of your blind to use the thing. It gets old fast.

This year I'm going to try more jerk string's and some other way to motion in the field spread, which I haven't finalized how yet. Thats why I'm here. And as much as the mechanical battery powered wing flapper goose decoys look. The last thing I need is more mechanical battery operated crap to haul out into the field. Tough decisions ahead.

Good luck with your purchase of reel wings, and don't bother unless you are in a relatively windy part of the country.
waubamikrider
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum