Adding Snows to Canada Spread?

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Adding Snows to Canada Spread?

Postby luie b » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:01 am

I have been wondering this for a little while and wanted to ask "the braintrust" here what all you guys thought. People say that contrasts in color of a duck spread increase visibility. That's why you guys always highly recommend putting bluebill dekes out and other ducks of that nature. So what I wondered is if you added a half dozen snow goose shells to a 3 dozen canada goose decoy spread to see the contrast of dark vs. light bodies in the spread to attract geese. Around here it's very common to see a few "oddball" snows in a flock so it may also add some realism. So whats your guys' take on this? Am I thinking a little "too" out of the box?
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Re: Adding Snows to Canada Spread?

Postby 18javelin » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:01 am

Easy enough to drag a half dozen in if birds flare. Post up ur results when done. In Canada we didn't get many snows come over our Canada dekes and vice vrs but a rare straggler. I would say add a few spec dekes would be more realistic.

Sent from a telegraph.
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:34 am

my question is, if you have been seeing a straggler or 2 in a group of canadians why dont you already have 1-3 snow decoys in your spread?? :huh:

when we field hunt we run the 1 snow big foot my buddy got in a give away, the birds seam a little less weary. even though we VARY RARELY see a snow in with Canadians.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby goodkarmarising » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:03 pm

I wouldn't run snows with canadas. Snows tend to flock together in a lot bigger group than canadas and lot more competitive feeders than canadas. When I'm hunting snows I target them and will have canadas come over close enough giving me a look and close enough to make shots at. Same with targeting canadas, but they very rarely feed together.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby klee7013 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:46 am

goodkarmarising wrote:I wouldn't run snows with canadas. Snows tend to flock together in a lot bigger group than canadas and lot more competitive feeders than canadas. When I'm hunting snows I target them and will have canadas come over close enough giving me a look and close enough to make shots at. Same with targeting canadas, but they very rarely feed together.

snows and Canadas do feed together. but you could put a small group of snows off to the side of your spread. but snows and Canadas do feed together ive seen it more than once
klee7013
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum