Decoy spread question

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Decoy spread question

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:19 pm

I have heard a theory recently that said you need to run a spread that is all the same brand. Because you don't want any variation in the dekes. I was taught early in my waterfowl career that you DID want variation in the spread. What does DHC think?
Variation being same body style and shade of paint. Obviously head and body postures need to be a variety
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Re: Decoy spread question

Postby muskyduck » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:37 pm

I've never seen enough to tell if it makes a difference. I hunt mostly water and concentrate on heavy migrators late in the season. I use all GHG, but my buddy uses BigFoot and we have a few odds and ends too. We put them all out and do very well. Would we do better if they were all the same? That I can't answer, but a uniform spread does look pretty awesome!
muskyduck
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:55 am

HuntsCTRiver wrote:I have heard a theory recently that said you need to run a spread that is all the same brand. Because you don't want any variation in the dekes. I was taught early in my waterfowl career that you DID want variation in the spread. What does DHC think?
Variation being same body style and shade of paint. Obviously head and body postures need to be a variety

Thats a bumm theory. i run BF, GHG and dakotas and consistantly kill birds.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:32 am

Huntfish12 wrote:
HuntsCTRiver wrote:I have heard a theory recently that said you need to run a spread that is all the same brand. Because you don't want any variation in the dekes. I was taught early in my waterfowl career that you DID want variation in the spread. What does DHC think?

Thats a bumm theory. i run BF, GHG and dakotas and consistantly kill birds.

Perhaps he was reading about speck hunting. Try that mix on pressured specks, and you'll kill your hunting. That was a hard lesson this Ohio Valley Canada hand had to learn when he moved to the Gulf Coast.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:01 pm

That doesn't make much sence. It would seem that diversity in your spread would be better.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:34 am

If you're talking to me, I've no idea why it might seem so. Specks are far more uniform in size and coloration than Canadas, and, at least on this end of the flyway, they tend to study decoys a whole lot harder than the Canadas I knew.

My very successful Canada spread was a dozen standard G&H shells, two or three dozen Carrylite shells and six dozen homemade silhouettes. Repainted them all as specks but didn't start finishing many specks until I'd whittled it down to just the dozen G&Hs. Now, some 27 speck seasons later, I'd still rather hunt over one make of poor speck decoys than a mix of better looking makes that show much diversity. Only time I'll break that rule is where some lazy soul has been leaving his decoys out, and I'll also put sweet looking decoys out, well separated from what the birds are accustomed to seeing there, to make it appear no hunters are home and the spot's now safe.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:53 am

MIx them.......... Canadas come in various sizes and color variations so having a variety of decoys usually doesn't make much difference. In addition different brands have slightly differenthead configurations which adds more variety and realism.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:55 am

A trick I have seen that works amazingly is mixing a ton of silo's with full bodies. They are completely different in every way, shape, and form. But they look like geese. That's all that matters.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby petrel » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:51 am

For Canadas and ducks, we intentionally mix brands and styles of decoys, always placing the better ones closest to the landing zone. I've hunted with professional goose guides that do the same, starting with tires cut in half, turned inside out with a white patch and a plastic head on the perimeter, transitioning to full bodies of various brands and finishing with a dozen real goose mounts placed on and around the pit blind. Socks mixed in too.
petrel
hunter

Postby duckblind1982 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:16 pm

Not every bird looks the same.... Variety is good :thumbsup:
duckblind1982
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:44 pm

Rick Hall wrote:If you're talking to me, I've no idea why it might seem so. Specks are far more uniform in size and coloration than Canadas, and, at least on this end of the flyway, they tend to study decoys a whole lot harder than the Canadas I knew.

My very successful Canada spread was a dozen standard G&H shells, two or three dozen Carrylite shells and six dozen homemade silhouettes. Repainted them all as specks but didn't start finishing many specks until I'd whittled it down to just the dozen G&Hs. Now, some 27 speck seasons later, I'd still rather hunt over one make of poor speck decoys than a mix of better looking makes that show much diversity. Only time I'll break that rule is where some lazy soul has been leaving his decoys out, and I'll also put sweet looking decoys out, well separated from what the birds are accustomed to seeing there, to make it appear no hunters are home and the spot's now safe.

I was not talking to you and I would not doubt any advice you gave me or anyone else. I was refering to the original topic post. Sorry for the confusion.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum