windsock and rag decoys?

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

windsock and rag decoys?

Postby brownh14 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:34 am

http://www.knutsondecoys.com/decoy_windsock.html ...... Been thinking about picking up some of these goose rag or windsock decoys, they look pretty cheaply made but worth a try considering its about 30 bucks for 100 of them! So basically i was wounding how well these things work for some of you guys that have used them, and if they are good for use in very shallow flooded corn fields. Also how long does it take to set them up and should i mix some more realistic decoys within these rag decoys, and how much wind does it take to get these things moving and looking realistic...Thanks for the help in advance
A dead hen cant lay eggs
brownh14
hunter

Re: windsock and rag decoys?

Postby honkerhuntin » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:02 am

great way to add bulk to your spread... i would make sure to have some higher end full bodies to mix in though, especialy where the geese are going to be looking to land. another deek worth looking at are the Real-Geese Silos, we kill geese over 10 dozen of those things all season long.
honkerhuntin
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:03 am

If I were oyu i wouldnt even bother with those. If you cant afford fullbodys or shells then next thing i guess would be get sumof the sillosock windsocks. They dont look to to bad. But in my opinion id rather have FB,s and Shells preferrablly Green Head Gear FFD'S. Im a pretty big goose hunter and just like the realism it gives me confidence, even if you can kill them over rags. I feel when the birds get tougher it helps to slide them in an finish them better over more realistic decoys. Just my thoughts!

Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:05 am

If you're talking for CANADAS, I would say don't waste your money. I would look into some shells, FB's or floaters all day long before I hunted canadas with a rag spread. It isn't necessarilly a numbers game when it comes to honkers no matter what you read about how guys say you HAVE TO RUN no less than 10 dozen deeks to finish birds...high pressure areas or not. Those rags might work for very early season birds or large flocks of lessers that act more like ducks or snow geese than canada honkers, but even then, they won't last and you'll get tired of watching the birds fly over them and not finish in a hurry.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby brownh14 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:57 pm

the reason im not using shells is because im hunting in about 4 feet of water... i was thinking i coud put the rag decoys on a taller pole for the water and im hunting snow geese not canadians so do you think it would be better to have a lot of decoys or can you kill snows with a dozen nice decoys
A dead hen cant lay eggs
brownh14
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum